We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Cas-en-Bas Beach?

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, ON
Road to Cas-en-Bas Beach?

Travelling to St Lucia in a couple of weeks and would love to go to Cas-en-Bas beach. I grew up on the island and loved that beach, but although I've visited the island often since I moved away, I haven't been back to that beach in about 10 years. Probably not since before the hotel was built there (is there one? I remember the land being cleared and construction materials being stocked, but never saw any of the actual construction). Back in the day, it was a must to drive there in a jeep, whether you went through Cap Estate or opposite the Gros-Islet gap. I'll be renting a car, not a jeep, and heard that the roads both sides are better, but how much better?

Soufriere, St. Lucia
1. Re: Road to Cas-en-Bas Beach?

Much better road, whisper75, and the hotel was built.

Bless up! Paul

Lucia
2. Re: Road to Cas-en-Bas Beach?

The drive to the beach is much better than when you were last here and the car will do just fine. The Beach Club is also right on the beach at Cotton Bay Village.

Enjoy!

Edited: 2:24 pm, June 10, 2013
Pottsville
3. Re: Road to Cas-en-Bas Beach?

I do not know which road you are speaking of but the road we just tried to go back 2 days ago was so gauged out by rain water channels that we turned around and our rental car was a Subaru Forester AWD. We have extensive off road experience with similar travels back home in the states as we live in the montains and did not want to tackle it. We were told we had bee on the right road. Just thought I would add this...Hope it helps.

Pottsville
4. Re: Road to Cas-en-Bas Beach?

I do not know which road you are speaking of but the road we just tried to go back 2 days ago was so gauged out by rain water channels that we turned around and our rental car was a Subaru Forester AWD. We have extensive off road experience with similar travels back home in the states as we live in the montains and did not want to tackle it. We were told we had bee on the right road. Just thought I would add this...Hope it helps.

Tours, France
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Loire Valley, Centre
reviews: 5
5. Re: Road to Cas-en-Bas Beach?

The old "road" still exists, but nobody now uses it to go down to Cas en Bas. I used to use it before the new road was built, and it was always extremely difficult. There also used to be another "road" that came down from the top of Cap Estate, but that became impassable after one tropical storm a few years ago.

The new road was built about 6 years ago, and is now tarmacced all the way.

You need to go north on the main road from Gros Islet, go past the turning to Pigeon Point, and turn right at the first roundabout. You go past the old golf clubhouse, and then eventually you turn left alongside the golf course to get down to Cotton Bay Village and Cas en Bas beach.

Edited: 4:13 am, June 11, 2013
6. Re: Road to Cas-en-Bas Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 13, 2014