We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Martinique

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
reviews: 2
Day trip to Martinique

Anyone have a company that does day trips to Martinique? We are staying at Sandals Grande and it looks like the dates we want for this trip from the hotel are sold out. Plus....past experience we have found that you usually get a better price when you book it on your own. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

UK
reviews: 82
11. Re: Day trip to Martinique

You just give the passports to the captain when you board and he sorts it all out for you and gives them back whilst having the bbq its all very organised and fun

Milford...
reviews: 423
12. Re: Day trip to Martinique

Thanks for the passport info!!!

alberta, Canada
reviews: 5
13. Re: Day trip to Martinique

I read some where that Martinique uses Euros. Is this correct or do they use the EC as well? Also does anyone know the current price for the Wave Riders trip and how far in advance should we book? We would like to go January 2nd.

Regina, Canada
reviews: 40
14. Re: Day trip to Martinique

Hi,

We did the tour just last week and booked 2 days before through the hotel activities desk. Admittedly it wasn't high season but the boat didn't seem full either. It was $185 US each. They pick you up at the hotel and bus you to the Rodney Bay marina. After leaving there it is approximately 90 minutes to Fort De France. Once in Martinique they drop off a crew member with all of the passports while the passengers get a quick tour of the harbour and then 30 minutes at a small duty free shop in the cruise port.

After that it is time to reboard and sail the short distance to the town centre dock, at which point there is about 2 1/2 hours allowed ashore. You can go off independently or take a short 45 minute walking tour before going on your own.

After reboarding the boat they serve lunch before sailing to Anse Noir for an hour of snorkelling before the journey back to Rodney Bay .

All food and liquor is included, although the food was nothing special, being hot dogs, burgers, grilled chicken and grilled fish, all catered to a back yard BBQ standard. It was adequate but I think I would rather have had more time ashore and have eaten there first. Having said that the flambeed bananas for dessert were delicious.

Euros are required in Martinique and you won't get by with USD except in the duty free store.. They do stop at an ATM on the walking tour to allow those who want to to withdraw money. We got a small amount before we left St Lucia, although that required a 40 minute line up on a Monday morning. You might be better getting them at home first.. You can also use CC if you want to make any larger purchases.

Overall we were glad we took the trip but you won't have time to see much of Martinique outside of the centre of the capital. I suspect that isn't the best part of the island and it would be like judging St Lucia if all you got to see was downtown Castries.

Your passport won't be stamped either if that's important to you.

Finally although the trip is on Thursdays I believe that they do a Saturday shopping trip once a month too but with a different itinary. You might be there for that as I believe that it isthe first Saturday of each month.

alberta, Canada
reviews: 5
15. Re: Day trip to Martinique

Thanks Fizzer. Any advise for activities, places to eat or must see in St. Lucia?

Regina, Canada
reviews: 40
16. Re: Day trip to Martinique

I sure have ideas but am by no means an expert on the island. We stayed in Rodney Bay and I have suggestions for that area if you wish. Other parts of the island I wouldn't really have suggestions, although if you dive/ snorkelthen a boat trip to dive at Anse Chastenet or a drive to the beach at Anse Chastenet to snorkel, seeing the Pitons on the way, are definitely recommended IMHO..

There will be lots of Piton Beer and rum in various forms but the bottled shandy, available at many bars, is refreshing and tasty, especially if you have to drive being very low alcohol. The shandy with ginger was our favourite. The beer and rum were both good too though.

Milford...
reviews: 423
17. Re: Day trip to Martinique

Fizzer, thanks so much for the details of your day trip to Martinique!

18. Re: Day trip to Martinique

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 27, 2014