We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windjammer Resort- Is it difficult to travel from hear?

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 1
Windjammer Resort- Is it difficult to travel from hear?

Hello,

I want to stay at the windjammer landing resort in Gros Ilset, St. Lucia but I'm worried it will be difficult afterwards to travel to the south west in search for waterfalls, horse riding and other activities?

Windjammer is on a beach called 'Labrelotte Bay', do you know if there are any activities there, such as snorkelling, horse riding, etc. Also, will we be stuck with hotel food and restaurants or is there street food too?

2 replies to this topic
Texas
reviews: 9
1. Re: Windjammer Resort- Is it difficult to travel from hear?

We stayed at the Windjammer in March. It is a mile off the main highway so nothing is really walking distance from the resort. If you want to explore and take in the local cuisine rather than stay on site you need to do one of two things 1) rent a car (not many places to park at Windjammer) or 2) hire a cab driver. You will need a car to get groceries or dine out off site no matter where you go.

Rather than tacking the roads, we hired Norbert, who works at the Windjammer (ask for him, they will hook you up). Norbert was our personal driver for the week. Just tell him your plans and call when you need him. He took us on a trip down the west coast on our last day and it was great. He told us stories about the island and was a joy to be with.

We thought the on site restaurants were way overpriced and just OK for quality and rarely ate on site. The views at Windjammer are fantasic since it is built on the side of hill (mountain?). There is a good swimming beach onsite but we liked Reduit beach much better. The snorkeling in that area is not that good. The best place is the Sugar Beach resort, followed by Anse Chasenet and Ti Kaye. The Windjammer does have a watersports area with free kayaks, sailboats, paddleboats, snorkeling equipment, banana boat rides etc. I did not see any horseback riding at the resort.

Their beach is a cresent shape and normally protected from rough surf, but you get small wave action there depending on wind direction. Just beyond the breakwater, some locals like to surf in the 4-5 waves that are there. Some of the beach is roped off for natrual sea life, but the cleared swimming area is still large.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
reviews: 85
2. Re: Windjammer Resort- Is it difficult to travel from hear?

Windjammer does require a taxi or a walk to the main road to catch the bus. We rarely use a taxi from there. We prefer to go out the back gate and walk 15 minutes to the main road and catch the local bus. I know a lot of people would never do that. There is some very good snorkeling at Pigeon Island which is about 20 minutes away by taxi. You would need to taxi to get to other restaurants. We make several meals ourselves when we stay at Windjammer as most units have kitchens. Horseback riding is about 20 minutes away as well. There is a wonderful watersports center at Windjammer. Hiring a driver for the week usually gets you a less expensive rate. That is what we did our first trip to the island and it worked well for us. Otherwise, I would suggest looking for a resort near Soufriere where the majority of the attractions are located.

Reply to: Windjammer Resort- Is it difficult to travel from hear?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted