We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where r good reefs 2snorkel from the beach at Sandal's Grand

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dunedin, Florida
reviews: 49
Where r good reefs 2snorkel from the beach at Sandal's Grand

I like ocean swimming about 2 kilometers every morning at sunrise. Where bayside is the best place to swim to reef for viewing marine life? I appreciate you help. In addition, I plan to take the scuba and snorkel trips offered by Sandal's Grande so I would appreciate you input and advice as to the best destinations they offer.

4 replies to this topic
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
reviews: 10
1. Re: Where r good reefs 2snorkel from the beach at Sandal's Grand

Not a lot of reefs in front of the Grande, or in the north end of the island at all really.

From the Grande, you can swim over towards Pigeon Island, there are rocks and reefs along the way and infront of PI. There and back, especially to the piers at PI can be a good long swim there and back. There's a decent current, so be careful. No lifeguards, and boats do dock around RB and around in front of PI, so use a lot of caution. Less boat traffic heading to the right towards the Landings, again though, no lifeguards, etc. Not a lot of reefs, but good swimming waters.

Be careful as boat traffic can be heavy, both yachts and local fisherman, along with jetskis, para sailing, etc - and they are not looking for you, you have to look out for them. And, again, there's a decent current through the bay, and no lifeguards. Let someone at the resort - watersports, butler, whatever - know that you're going out swimming alone like that. And let them know when you get back. At least someone else will be watching for you too.

Have a great time, enjoy your visit.

Dunedin, Florida
reviews: 49
2. Re: Where r good reefs 2snorkel from the beach at Sandal's Grand

I swim at sunrise b4 others awake for my safety. Is pigeon island the rocks just offshore on the east side of the resort? I will be there in December. Been ocean swimming Jamaica for years. 1st time in St. Lucia. Theory is that God can and will supply amazing blessings anywhere and at any time often right where we are so I like to safely prepare and just walk into the ocean to meet Him in His glory.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
3. Re: Where r good reefs 2snorkel from the beach at Sandal's Grand

Pigeon Island is the large national park to the side of the Grande. It is no longer an island as they built the causeway many years ago that the Grande now sits on.

I do caution again about letting someone know you will be out, and to use lots of caution yourself. Just yesterday, freak accident, had a swimmer cut in half by a boater in the Rodney Bay area - boater didn't know the swimmer was there, and vice versa. Tragic, and would hate to see that happen. Fishermen and other boaters are up and about on their boats before sunrise/sunrise also. While most don't frequent the frontal areas in front of the Grande or the causeway in general, you simply never know, there are some anchorages in the area. Just advising caution - while nothing has happened to you in the past, that is no guarantee for the future!

And strongly advise against swimming on the Atlantic/open ocean side of the causeway - the side with the road. It is a difficult, all rock entry and the currents are very strong - and there is nothing between you and Martinique, if you do get swept along. For your safety, strongly suggest you stay on the Rodney Bay side. There are large marked and roped swimming/water play areas for the resort, but probably not large enough for the swim you have in mind. Down to the Landings and back is a good long swim - just be aware of any boats (including small fisherman boats) in the area.

All the best and enjoy your visit.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
4. Re: Where r good reefs 2snorkel from the beach at Sandal's Grand

Ps: the boating incident I was referring to happened at the other end of Rodney Bay from where the Grande is located, for further info purposes. All the best.

Reply to: Where r good reefs 2snorkel from the beach at Sandal's Grand
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted