We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchanging sterling cash/traveller cheques in St Lucia

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, United...
exchanging sterling cash/traveller cheques in St Lucia

Hi

Arriving in St Lucia(our honeymoon) on monday from the UK and staying at the Royal on Redduit beach which will be all inclusive. We are bringing a bit of money out alrady exchanged to EC dollars.

We be bringing sterling as well with us, as i believe we be getting a better rate if we exchange it in St Luca via a bank? Is there a bank in Rodney bay? If not whats the next best option Hotel? Vendors? Or am a totally go down the right route?

Any advice would be greatly apperciated.

Thanks in advance

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
reviews: 50
1. Re: exchanging sterling cash/traveller cheques in St Lucia

There are 2 or 3 banks in Rodney Bay village. That is by far your best option. Make sure the sterling notes you bring are fairly new without any writing on them.

STEVE

leeds
reviews: 7
2. Re: exchanging sterling cash/traveller cheques in St Lucia

The hotel rate is pretty bad to be honest , Ive had to use on a few occasions when stuck.

You will have a great time , jealous!! , Pass my regards to Troy at the pool bar great lad .

Plymouth, United...
3. Re: exchanging sterling cash/traveller cheques in St Lucia

Thanks for advice Steve will make sure we have crisp notes with us!

Will try to remember to pass on your regards stevo, but i cant promise anything as the rum may have have hold of me for most of the hoilday! :)

Btw we were suppose to be staying at the St Lucian(next door). but we were contacted via the hoilday rep, to say the resort is set to be closed on the 1st of June.

We were explanied we were going to be moved to the Royal with no extra cost and be all inclusive as well!..We were over the moon as we looked at this one but it was out of our price range!

Can,t wait!!

leeds
4. Re: exchanging sterling cash/traveller cheques in St Lucia

Your very lucky !!

I didnt know anything about the St Lucian is it shutting completely or just for refurb ?

The Royal is a lot lot nicer hotel , Not quite sure how they will manage the all inclusive part though as its not an all inc hotel , unless the bars and restaurants are still open at the Rex , thats what has happened in the past .

You will have a whale of a time!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for Gros Islet
reviews: 28
5. Re: exchanging sterling cash/traveller cheques in St Lucia

You can also get EC $ from ATM machines at any of the banks, You will get a very good exchange rate much the same as changing sterling notes which can take a while as the lines can be very long sometimes. You can draw up to £300 pounds worth a day. Enjoy your stay in St Lucia

Ken :-)

UK
reviews: 76
6. Re: exchanging sterling cash/traveller cheques in St Lucia

Depending on which card you have, you may get a better overall rate of exchange (taking into account ALL charges) by using an ATM than bringing cash. Full details here:

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/overseas-card-c…

For Brits, the cheapest way of getting EC$ cash in St Lucia is to use the Halifax Clarity CREDIT card or Santander Zero credit or debit cards, provided you pay it off quickly (we transfer money online to pay it off as soon as we have drawn the cash, so if we draw £200 worth we generally pay only 20p or so of interest).

Health warning: this only applies to the UK, it's all different if you're from other countries.

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
reviews: 50
7. Re: exchanging sterling cash/traveller cheques in St Lucia

Hi

2 points re this

1) If you use an ATM there are 2 things to consider the charges(that depends upon the card you have and also how you manage that eg prompt pay off as above) AND the rate of exchange you get. We have always found we get a better rate of exchange for sterling cash at the bank than on any credit/debit card

2) You will get at even better rate for sterling travellers cheques. See this link for current rates. Trav Cheques are treated as "non cash"

http://www.bankofsaintlucia.com/

If you can get sterling travellers cheques from the UK at zero commission do that. It also covers off any insurance issues.

STEVE

UK
reviews: 76
8. Re: exchanging sterling cash/traveller cheques in St Lucia

Steve

I can't vouch for the rate on anything other than the Halifax Clarity, but every time we've done an 'on the day' exchange rate comparison to make sure we're making the right choices, it has been better than either travellers cheques or cash. We were suspicious orginally, since using a credit card to draw cash is counter-intuitive, but are now confident that we are getting the best deal.

leeds
9. Re: exchanging sterling cash/traveller cheques in St Lucia

Just on sterling travellers cheques don't make the same mistake as me and get relatively small denomination cheques. I got £20 and £50s spent many a happy hour signing each one then having to put them in numerical order and you pay a commision on each cheque , enough people in the line behind me sucking their teeth lol , Schoolboy error.

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 5
10. Re: exchanging sterling cash/traveller cheques in St Lucia

@ Stevo....Hahahahaha! Love it!! :-)

Get answers to your questions about Gros Islet