We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer to Sandals Grande St. Lucian

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough, Canada
Transfer to Sandals Grande St. Lucian

Is it worth it to take private transfer or just stay on bus?

UK
reviews: 10
1. Re: Transfer to Sandals Grande St. Lucian

Personal preference. Do you mind sitting next to other people for an hour and a half?

For me, if I'm spending extra on a transfer, I'd spend a bit more and go by chopper.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
reviews: 10
2. Re: Transfer to Sandals Grande St. Lucian

The bus is a 14 seater mini-van. Usually 12 passengers on the way to Sandals, along with your luggage. Private transfer can vary depending on who you book with. Less expensive to book privately rather than through Sandals (private around $80-$100US, Sandals $125US) Serenity TVL provides great service and very comfy clean vehicles. Both shuttle and private transfer take around 1.5 hours at least, and all make similar stops for views, etc.

The helicopter transfer is wonderful - takes 10-15 minutes and costs $145-$155US pp depending on which route. It lands at the northern airport; from there you would need either the Sandals transfer, or a taxi for the 30 minute ride to the resort. You cannot take your luggage with you on the chopper, it goes by land in a van. You can take hand luggage with you onboard.

Good luck deciding, and enjoy your visit!

Long Island, NY
reviews: 9
3. Re: Transfer to Sandals Grande St. Lucian

Hello Christine,

Definitely a personal preference. I took the bus to the Grande, and I often get car sick, but I was fine. If you get car sick, than I would suggest taking something for your stomach! Other than that, if you want to spend the money, go for it!!! Otherwise, it was just fine!

Haverhill...
reviews: 25
4. Re: Transfer to Sandals Grande St. Lucian

We did the private transfer both ways. Nice high-end BMW on the way there - enjoyed the ride very much. On the way back we were in a midrange Toyota - I was on the sunny side of the car, up and over the mountains. If I could have died, I would have been happier.

If you can swing it, do the helicopter. Already told hubby if we go back we're taking the helicopter!

Long Island, NY
reviews: 9
5. Re: Transfer to Sandals Grande St. Lucian

LOL that was funny Winnie!!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
reviews: 42
6. Re: Transfer to Sandals Grande St. Lucian

Ditto Winnekini...we've done both the shuttle and private car. Next time will be the heli for this gal!

Connecticut
reviews: 2
7. Re: Transfer to Sandals Grande St. Lucian

I'm with everyone on the helicopter! First time here, heli to Castries airport, took the bus back to the airport. this time, in a butler suite and had the private transfer, had the high end Toyota. It was nice, going to try thr private car for the return too.

But highly recommend the helicopter!!!!!

Yorkshire Dales...
reviews: 41
8. Re: Transfer to Sandals Grande St. Lucian

Save your money the bus transfer is not bad if you don't mind a few hills and bends.

Connecticut
reviews: 2
9. Re: Transfer to Sandals Grande St. Lucian

We have tried all three ways...

First time to St. Lucia we took the helicopter transfer to the resort; as an FYI, your bags are transferred by the helicopter company, not Sandals, but you can take your carry-on bag with you. For our return, we took the bus back and it wasn't too bad - a good way to see the country. The ride took about 90 minutes. We just returned again, and this time was a private transfer to the Grande - nice high end Toyota - on a Sunday it took @ 70-75 minutes! The nice thing about the private transfer is that you don't need to wait for enough people on the bus. - you leave right away. For the return, we decided we wanted to spend a bit more time in the sunshine so we took the helicopter return. We were at the airport before our bags arrived from the helicopter company. Love the ease and views from the helicopter - will definitely go this way again.

Edited: 11:39 am, April 28, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 1
10. Re: Transfer to Sandals Grande St. Lucian

Hello, this is my 1st time in this travel forum. I've spent the last few months in the wonderful Sandals Whitehouse forums. I just returned from that resort last week, so if you have any questions, please ask me.

Would you please provide me some contact info (and any other details) about the heli and private transfer? You can private message me if you'd like. I'd appreciate your time and help. I'm planning on using our 3rd FREE WEEK on an October trip to the Grande and doing an extra 4 nights at LaToc (repeat visits to both), but I've never done the St. Lucia heli or a private transfer, so I'm curious.

Also, is there a good, informative forum on the resorts? I've looked at some of the forums with the resort's name in the tile, but they're "small" topics like the dress code. Besides reading the reviews, I'd like to read a forum (or forums) with broad, resort-encompassing topics (like what's new and on site reports). I'll be sure to check out the scuba forum because I'm a diver.

Thanks for any and all help. I've been to all the Sandals and Beaches properties (200+ nights and 27 stays), so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.