We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter to Sandals Grand in St Lucia

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, Nebraska
reviews: 2
Helicopter to Sandals Grand in St Lucia

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get from the airport to sandals grande via helicopter?

Also, we have tons of luggage and wondered if we can take it on the helicopter with us?

Essex
reviews: 21
1. Re: Helicopter to Sandals Grand in St Lucia

It should take approximately 20 minutes from George Charles airport which is where the helicopter will land to The Grand. You will only be able to take one item of hand luggage each on the helicopter. The remainder will follow on by road a few hours later. If you decide to use the helicopter then I would advise you to make sure you have swimsuits and toiletries etc in your hand luggage, which you could remove from your suitcases prior to boarding the helicopter.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
reviews: 10
2. Re: Helicopter to Sandals Grand in St Lucia

The helicopter ride from the southern airport (UVF) to the northern airport (SLU) is a 10-15 minute ride, depending on the route. From there, you would need a taxi or Sandals shuttle to the resort, more like about 30-35 minutes, especially depending on time of day.

As kchaney noted - you can only take hand luggage in the chopper with you - so be ready to switch over swimsuits, sunscreen, etc.

Enjoy!

UK
3. Re: Helicopter to Sandals Grand in St Lucia

The trip is 10-15 minutes, but be aware that you may have a wait at the airport before boarding the helicopter. if there are a lot of people on your flight that are taking helo then you may have to queue (since there is only one chopper that takes 6 people). Similarly if there's only 2 on your flight and 4 on a flight that lands 20 minutes later, then you may need to wait for them to fill the chopper seats. Or you might depart straight away. It's pretty much down to luck.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
reviews: 91
4. Re: Helicopter to Sandals Grand in St Lucia

You won't need tons of luggage. A couple pairs of shorts, a couple of evening outfits and swimsuits is pretty much all you need.

In any event your luggage will travel by road, you by helicopter. Bring your swimsuit and suntan lotion in your one allowed carry on for the helicopter so you can just switch into beach mode upon arrival. Do realize that your helicopter will fly from one airport to another and then you take a 20 minute taxi ride to the Grande. Your luggage will arrive within a couple of hours after you get to the Grande.

Boston, MA
5. Re: Helicopter to Sandals Grand in St Lucia

Does anyone know the pricing for the helicopter one way to the Grande?

Shelbyville...
reviews: 7
6. Re: Helicopter to Sandals Grand in St Lucia

We were thinking about doing the helicopter shuttle but noticed that for a small amount more you can take the full island tour. Does anybody know if the the full tour and helicopter shuttle can be combined so that we can take off when we get off the plane and end at the northern airport?

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
7. Re: Helicopter to Sandals Grand in St Lucia

It is on the St. Lucia Helicopters website: the flight is not to the Grande, but to the northern airport, where you would need an additional taxi or the Sandals shuttle (which you would have to arrange separately with them) to your resort, which is another 30 minutes from the northern airport.

The price is $145 or $155US pp dependong on which route the whole chooper decides to take - the direct route, about 8-10 minutes fly time or the scenic route, about 12-15minutes flight time, but goes along the West coast some for views of the Pitons, etc. The whole group onboard has to agree to both the extra time and extra $$.

You can find all the details at the website.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
8. Re: Helicopter to Sandals Grand in St Lucia

Nope, you cannot combine the shuttle with the full island tour - they are offered at different times of hte day and cover vastly different areas of the island. Also, consider that the helicoprt is shuttling 6 people, not just you and your SO, and those folks may just want to get to their resort and not pay the extra or take the extra time. Along with the fact that there are only 2 helicopters and they are doing the shuttle runs all afternoon - people waiting back at the UVF airport for their shuttle would not like an extra half hour tacked on to their waiting time!

The full island tour is generally only offered in the morning, as the afternoons are for the shuttles. The full island tour is fantastic and as you noted, not much more than the shuttle itself - but they serve 2 very different purposes! One is a shuttle - get you up north quick and stress free and the other is an actual tour - with commentary and photo ops, etc. and last much longer.

Of the 2, the tour is the way to go IMO. The road trip up north is not that bad, it is 1-2 hours, depending on resort and traffic, but it is also scenic with stops along the way, etc. And you get to travel with your luggage the whole way - as oppsed to waiting for it to arrive several hours after you do.

Either way -enjoy your trips!!

Boston, MA
9. Re: Helicopter to Sandals Grand in St Lucia

Reedprincess: From the northern airport how long does it take to get to the resort in a taxi? Do you know if you have to pay extra if you arrange the Sandals Shuttle? Do you know how I would go about arranging a private car to the resort and how much that would be? I've been to St. Lucia before and I remember that long ride to Sandals Halcyon in the dark on a packed shuttle bus.

Boston, MA
10. Re: Helicopter to Sandals Grand in St Lucia

Does anyone know exactly how long it takes to get to the Grande from the airport. I've seen so many different lengths of time. For some reason, close to 2 hrs sticks in my head that it took us to get to Sandals Halcyon. I know that it was light when we arrived at the airport but dark when we arrived at the resort. If the helicopter saves us an 1 or 1 1/2 ride in the shuttle in the dark on the winding roads. I'm leaning more towards the helicopter.

Thanks