We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some interesting comparisons when considering SGSL reviews

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East Lansing...
reviews: 89
Some interesting comparisons when considering SGSL reviews

So we are two weeks out from our trip to SGSL. We are very excited and I have been reading every review on TA for the past couple of months. Time and time again I am perplexed at the people that take the time to write a terrible review but never took the time to research the different rooms, categories, options, pros and cons of the resort. For instance, don't book a basic garden view room then complain because you don't get room service or a fridge stocked with alcohol. It is very clear in the room category descriptions as well as reviewers comments that you must book a concierge level or higher for this. If you think your drink is watered down ask for another shot for goodness sake!! And if the food portions are small GET ANOTHER ENTREE!! People have no one to blame but themselves when complaining about issues that are easily resolved on their own.

Next, don't book a basic room and assume that you will automatically get whatever restaurant reservations you want whenever you want. Also clearly stated in the descriptions as well as comments from the reviewers. We were at an all inclusive last year in Mexico and only got one specialty restaurant. It was only OK but certainly didn't ruin my experience there!

Finally, and this is where I decided for laughs to do a comparison, DON'T compare this to a 5 Star resort!! It is NOT a 5 star resort and doesn't pretend to be. It is supposed to be an nice all inclusive. When I think of a 5 star resort I think of the Ritz-Carlton in Grand Cayman for instance. I went online and put in our dates, an oceanfront room which is the category we booked at Sandals, a package that offered us buffet breakfast for two and a resort credit of $100 daily. That rate for the Ritz-Carlton came out to $9100 for the week. That does NOT include drinks whenever we want, dinner, wine at dinner, room service etc. And it certainly does NOT include scuba diving which, when we travel to Cayman, can add another $500 to the bill minimum. So I'd put that Ritz Carlton trip in the neighborhood of $12,000 easily.

We have also stayed at the Westin in Grand Cayman which I would probably consider along the same level as Sandals. About a nice 4 star. Those bills for lunch and drinks at the pool caused us to gasp!

Bottom line is, and I realize I have yet to step foot on this property, unless this place is a complete DUMP which I know it won't be and the food is utterly disgusting, again I'm sure it will be quite good, I realize that we are getting a very good value for the money. When I crunched the numbers for the 2 different resorts in Cayman, one 5 star and one 4, we will still be spending about $2500 less for having gone to Sandals.

If you want 5 star then by all means BOOK a 5 star. Just be prepared to pay for it!

OK. I'll get off my soapbox now!!!

East Lansing...
1. Re: Some interesting comparisons when considering SGSL reviews

Footnote: That would be $2500 less than the Westin and less than HALF the price of the Ritz-Carlton! Forgot to put that in...

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Some interesting comparisons when considering SGSL reviews

RP....I love your attitude and obvious common sense! I really hope you have a great time! have fun xx

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
reviews: 40
3. Re: Some interesting comparisons when considering SGSL reviews

love it RP...you said it very well! I sense that no matter where you travel you no doubt have a good time, because you do your research and go with the flow.

Have fun at SGSL...I'm sure you will! :)

East Lansing...
4. Re: Some interesting comparisons when considering SGSL reviews

Tam, we definitely will have a great time!! Thx! Sorry for my soapbox spiel but good grief i just got fed up with some of these reviews! LOL! I'm not expecting perfection just a good time!

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Some interesting comparisons when considering SGSL reviews

You can get on your soap box anytime!

Haverhill...
reviews: 21
6. Re: Some interesting comparisons when considering SGSL reviews

Well said, RP! You make excellent points.

Some people just like to complain....... and they stand out like a sore thumb.... and very quickly too!

detroit
reviews: 1
7. Re: Some interesting comparisons when considering SGSL reviews

That should be the banner on each page!!

I get sick of the "the resort ruined my honeymoon, it rained 3 of the 5 days".... posts.

The drinks are free, they make what you ask for, ask for what you want!!

The staff deals with hundreds of us spoiled vacationers every week for their meager salary, it's amazing that no one ever snaps. Could you deal with it?

East Lansing...
8. Re: Some interesting comparisons when considering SGSL reviews

Great point Scotfield. People go down there feeling some sort of weird entitlement. Well, forgive me not people in general but SOME people. Usually the ones complaining about everything. My other favorite are the reviews that say "I've stayed at 5 star resorts all over the Caribbean blah blah and this is no 5 star resort!". Well no kidding! I think that if any of these people actually DID stay at 5 star resorts they certainly wouldn't expect Sandals to be one for the price tag! I have stayed at 5 star properties and when I say 5 stars I usually only consider St. Regis, Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons and the like to fit that bill. And those price tags are at least double what we are paying at Sandals. (our 5 star stays were usually on a company trip and nothing im willing to pay out of my own pocket for!) Finally when I give a review a 5 out of 5 I'm NOT saying it was a 5 star hotel. I'm saying it was excellent. Big difference!

East Lansing...
9. Re: Some interesting comparisons when considering SGSL reviews

WOW! Just read my second review of some idiot complaining that their missed flight was Sandals fault!! How on earth do you possibly fathom that a flight you KNOW to be at 1:30 is now suddenly at 4? PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!! That's what all of these reviews come down to. People who take no personal responsibility! One quick phone call to the airline could have solved them all of their troubles. In 28 years of traveling I have never once expected a hotel to confirm my airline reservations. Not once. Pick up the phone and call..problem solved. Ridiculous.

Essex
reviews: 22
10. Re: Some interesting comparisons when considering SGSL reviews

RP i couldnt agree more with your comments. Like you I have also stayed a 5 star hotels in the South of France...Ritz Carlton and have happily paid the cost which can be upwards of £1000 per night!

Sandals by comparison is a good 3 star all inclusive and priced accordingly and is what I would expect for money. Even if you choose the highest category it still does not achieve a 5 star standard. If you want and expect that level of resort then you will be dissapointed, and should look at the prices for Jade Mountain perhaps. Having said that we love the Halcyon and have 3 visits booked over the next 13 months..and in our opinion is good value for money.