We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SGSL diving

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
reviews: 2
SGSL diving

We leave Sunday for SGSL, hubby wants to know what time the scuba diving takes place...Are there 2 tank dives for certified divers? What time would those be?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
reviews: 70
1. Re: SGSL diving

You will have to do a shallow dive before you do the 2-tank dives; this is standard for all divers except perhaps dive professionals (divemaster and above) or if you just dived the day before. Also, if you have not dived within 6 months (and they will require proof of your dives) you will have to do a pool refresher before the shallow dive.

Check in at the dive shop as soon as you can to schedule what you need to do. It officially closes at 4 pm but people may be there a bit later.

Once you have done your shallow dive, there are 2-tank dives daily except Sundays, when there is just one fairly shallow dive. The boat leaves in the am, I think around 8:30 but check with the shop for the exact time. There is a general schedule, eg. Lesleen M wreck/Anse Cochon on Tues/Thurs, Pitons/Soufriere Wed/Fri.

Have a nice trip and enjoy the diving -- St. Lucia is great.

Boston...
reviews: 378
2. Re: SGSL diving

Thanks for the details of the dive program!!!!

Connecticut
3. Re: SGSL diving

Thank you for the reply. We leave in the morning and we are so psyched!!!!

Connecticut
4. Re: SGSL diving

We got back yesterday. The diving was as you stated, two tank dive in the morning arrive at 8ish for 8:30 departure.

Since they have been having daily downpours, the diving visibility wasn't the greatest and there were changes to the dive schedule to get the best vis.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
5. Re: SGSL diving

I hope you still had a good time!

Boston...
6. Re: SGSL diving

Any dives that are a must??

Connecticut
7. Re: SGSL diving

We had a fantastic time despite the rain. We absolutely loved the Grande and St. Lucia, we'll be going back again next year.

I'll check with hubby about the "must" dives, but honestly the dives really depend on visibility. They did the wreck dive on Saturday, but the vis was only @ 20 feet because of the silt from the fresh water runoff.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
8. Re: SGSL diving

Nikko --

I always like the wreck even if the visibility is low, as much of it is close-up stuff anyway (however, I have dived here in Vancouver with less than 5 ft vis so 20 ft doesn't bother me!) So, try to do it if you can.

People always talk about Superman's Flight -- it's lovely but in my opinion overestimated. It's also not always the "exciting drift dive" advertised; the last time I did it, there was not a hint of current. There are really no "must dive" sites, I would tend to be guided by the staff as to where the conditions are best for that day. This takes into consideration current, surge, vis, and general staff knowledge of the site. They may head in a general direction but not decide until they arrive. All the St. Lucia sites can be very nice, although having different features.

Boston...
9. Re: SGSL diving

crystal, thanks for the info!!!

Connecticut
10. Re: SGSL diving

Please don't judge the everyday diving visibility by our experience. We had a lot of rain last week, there were mudslides in Soufriere one day, and the road to the volcano had a slide also. When we flew into St. Lucia you could see the silt washout from the rivers out into the sea for quite a way near the river outlets. There were some areas where the vis wasn't too bad, but other areas that they looked for other dive sites. They guys did do the Superman Dive, but like you, there was little to no current running through there for the drift dive.

Nikko4me, when are you going? You might have better weather than we did.

Please don't think that we didn't have a good time, The dive boats went out every day, There was sunshine for lying on the beach for part of the day, remember, you can get a sunburn when it's cloudy! We did go to the volcano on a rainyish day, it rained more in the Soufriere area than Gros Islet, but it didn't dampen our good times. Hey, the weather was warm, so the rain wasn't really a bother.