We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Grande to Gros Islet "Jump Up"

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Regina, Canada
reviews: 7
Sandals Grande to Gros Islet "Jump Up"

Reading so much about this weekly event it has made it on my "to do" list. Only trouble is, we fly in on Friday (and leave the following Friday). So, couple of questions:

- our flight arrives in Castries just before 4:00 pm - I figure (generously speaking) we will arrive to the Sandals Grande by 7:30-8:00 pm or so - am I way off base (accounting for customs, transfer, etc) - we weren't planning to tak the helecopter

- How far is the Sandals Grande to Gros Islet? Is there a shuttle into town? Are there organized groups that go from Sandals Grande to the Jump Up?

- I have read it doesnt really get going until 11:00 pm and goes into the wee hours - how late (I am imagining 2 or 3 am)

- Is it safe for toruists - everything reads like it is just wanted to know your perspective? (I know this is one of those questions that everyone asks - but I like knowing what sortof to expect).

It just sounds like so much fun - is it? SHould this be something on my to do. Thanks in advance. TooCold.

Castries, St. Lucia
reviews: 1
11. Re: Sandals Grande to Gros Islet "Jump Up"

Hi,

The Grande does not organize groups of guests to go to the jump up.

Cory

Edited: 12:41 pm, February 07, 2012
surrey
reviews: 25
12. Re: Sandals Grande to Gros Islet "Jump Up"

You could just get a taxi - it shouldn't be very expensive and you may find someone to share the cost with you.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
13. Re: Sandals Grande to Gros Islet "Jump Up"

"our flight arrives in Castries just before 4:00 pm "

Too Cold, if you are in fact arriving in the "Castries" airport SLU, no reason it should take anywhere near 3 hrs to get thru customs and on to the Sandals Grande. It's a 20 minute drive to the Grande from SLU.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
reviews: 40
14. Re: Sandals Grande to Gros Islet "Jump Up"

Flowers, I think Too_Cold is flying into UVF.

Too_Cold...I don't recall that there was anything specifically organized at the Grande to go to the Jump Up, but we did hear from a few people (younger than us!) the next day who went by cab and totally enjoyed it. Mind you, we weren't allowed to talk too loudly around them...they had partied quite hard! We did pass by the Jump Up twice that evening and it appeared to be quite lively....police were there around 10:30ish...whether just as a presence or because of a situation, I don't know. But we did hear good fun things about the party the next day.

Regina, Canada
reviews: 7
15. Re: Sandals Grande to Gros Islet "Jump Up"

Ya. Uvf it is. Started orig post back in sept before all the research. Tnx everyone.

Norwalk, Connecticut
reviews: 38
16. Re: Sandals Grande to Gros Islet "Jump Up"

Does the hotel offer something similar to this right on property?

surrey
reviews: 25
17. Re: Sandals Grande to Gros Islet "Jump Up"

I think they do have a Street party but it will just be with the other guests of the hotel and not the locals - it's going to be better to go to the real thing.

Castries, St. Lucia
reviews: 1
18. Re: Sandals Grande to Gros Islet "Jump Up"

Sandals does host a Thursday night Parking Lot version of the street party but still doesn't come anywhere close to the real thing and its restricted to the hotel's guests... Heading to the Jump Up now! See you soon...

Owosso, Michigan
reviews: 6
19. Re: Sandals Grande to Gros Islet "Jump Up"

We were at the Grande in Sept. 2011. Theres is no "organized" trip to the jump-up. But it's quite easy to go, you just go to the desk and tell them you want to go the the jump up, they'll call a taxi around and you go. The driver will arrange to pick you up at a specified time, or you can just "wing it" and wait for another taxi when you're ready to go. There are locals selling drinks at the entrance to the street party, they will also call taxi's for you.

East Lansing...
reviews: 89
20. Re: Sandals Grande to Gros Islet "Jump Up"

MommiesRN, what time did you head over? We will be there next Friday. Sounds like fun - especially given that is rainy and gloomy in Michigan at the moment...ugh. We fly out Saturday the 10th in the afternoon so it might be a fun way to spend our last night.