We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dec 12-17 Trip Report St. Lucia

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
reviews: 41
Dec 12-17 Trip Report St. Lucia

Here is my trip report:

Day 1: Flew down to Castries via San Juan, Puerto Rico on American Airlines. For future travelers, the airport in Castries is small but closer to the touristy area of Rodney Bay. About 20-30 min. The other airport, the international one, is like 1.5 hrs away on the south end of the island. If you can, fly into Castries if you are going to Rodney Bar. Taxi fare should be $20 US. Also, $1 US - $2.65 EC right now. If you pay in US you will most likely get EC back. So we got there, had dinner at Castaways (it was ok but wouldn't recommend it), went to bed. We stayed at Bay Gardens Beach Resort, which I posted a review of, so check that. The resort is right by all the restaurants outside the beach and the "shopping mall" where you can go to Super J (the supermarket) or grab Subways or Burger King is within 15 min of the hotel.

Day 2: Spent day at the pool/beach. When we went, it rained a bit since I think it was the tail end of a hurricane. According to locals, most days in Dec. are sunny. We had rain off and on for 3 days straight, Never for very long though. So my one main gripe of Reduit Beach is that there are not a lf places to eat on the beach! There is only 2--Tides, which is at the Bay Gardens hotel, or Spinnakers, which is next door. Both are ok. There are other hotes on the beach which may have food but its not like right ON the beach where u can just walk into. The beach itself is very nice but not as long as I thoght it'd be. We walked the stretch and prob took 20-30 min from one end to the other? Reduit beach is nice though. the sand is fine and light colored, water is very clear.

Day 3: we did an island tour to sulphur springs in soufrieges. we hired a private taxi--they gave us a good price $120 total for 3 poeopl. i thikn its usually 140-200 US. If u go with a private taxi (we used Gavin's co, who we met at the airport) ef try to talk down the rpice by syain u saw it cheaper somewhere else. the island tour was ok. its VERY WINDY ROADS so if u get motion sickness, be forewarend! basically we stopped at some lookout pts, some towns, and went to the 'drive in' volcano. honestly, if u've been to yellowstone, u can skip this. it just smells like rotten eggs, and u see steam coming out of the holes in the ground. however, the cool part of the tour was the sulfur baths? our guide took us down to go into it. i only soaked my feet but my friend went in with her suit and loved it. suppose to be good for ya. after, we went to some waterfall. once u see one waterfall in your life, u've seen them all. so, do i recommedn this tour? not really, but if u want to get a sense of local life and see the island, yes. if u dont really care like me, and just want to relax, skip it.

At night, we wanted to go to the Street fair in rodney marina. its THE thing to do on friday night. theres music and local food to buy. it looked like fun but we didnt stay long since it did rain. but lots of tourists go. it starts at 9 pm and goes to 2 pm

Day 4: i stayed at the beach while friends went snorkelin/diving. i think my friend paid 40 or 60 US to do 2 dives. later in the afernoon, we went on the jet skis which was the CHEAPEST THING WE DID! it was $20US for 20 min. i never went on jet skis for that cheap before. the other water stuff was cheap too. its just the people on the beach that sell the activitiy...u'll see them walkin around.

Day 5: stayed at beach again. get the picture? yes i wanted to do nothing!

places to eat: Buzz for seafood (had the lobster which was fresh and SO GOOD) and also the indian place a few doors down. i cant remember the name of it but the indian place was the BEST FOOD we had on the island. i heard the italian place del mare is great too but it was closed on the day we wanted to go (Sunday).

places to grab a drink/go out: the lime is pretty popular for drinks, as well as rumours for dancing. please note that their is local and tourist price to go into rumours....but we skipped the foreign price cuz we went in with some locals.

overall impression: ST Lucia is nice, but not as visually stunning as i thought it would be. also once thing that pissed me off was that i didnt like the fact that i felt the locals were tryin to take advantage of us ($ wise). not all the time but in a few instances. not gonna get into detial but that kinda ruins the trip.

cars do not yield to pedestrians.

there is an AIRPORT DEPARTURE TAX that has to be paid in cash $26US. did not know this til we checked out. they were sort of obnoxious about that too. they do NOT take credit card. trust me

would i go back...prob not. ive had better experiences dining/beach/service wise in other places. but i had always wanted to go and check out st lucia so glad i got it out of my system at least....its not a BAD place to go, but it didnt live up to my expectations either. i think they are still tryin to develop their tourism industry.

okay so thats my two cents!

Iowa
reviews: 27
1. Re: Dec 12-17 Trip Report St. Lucia

Thank you for your trip report. I can't help but think you would have felt better about the trip if it weren't raining so much--bummer!

It is refreshing to have such an honest trip report. What are your suggested destinations??

Gina

2. Re: Dec 12-17 Trip Report St. Lucia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, September 15, 2009