We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeshare sale stopped by Windjammer

Which Castries hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 13
Timeshare sale stopped by Windjammer

I have recently had an offer on my weeks at Windjammer Landing, Windjammer informed my buyer that he would not be entitled to any owner benfits including maid service but would still have to pay the weekly maintenance, Windjammer explained this was because owners had complained that they were not happy about third party purchasers being entitled to the same benefits at a significantly lower price, I have asked many owners if they were approached by Windjammer to seek their views but not one person had been and said they did not agree with the new policy of non transferable benefits.

My buyer pulled out of the sale as why would he want to pay nearly £700 a week maintenance and not receive even maid service! I complained to Windjammer who now state that benefits are included, Windjammer have admitted they made an error, however, they have not apologised, are not replying to my emails and will not speak to me by phone and have sent an email telling me I am NOT to repeat any part of their emails.

I have lost a sale that I have waited two years for. I would be interested to hear if anybody has had a successful sale.

24 replies to this topic
England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
reviews: 123
1. Re: Timeshare sale stopped by Windjammer

Hi, I have known owners who have sold over the years who hAve never mentioned this. I also know some of the people who have bought off these owners. As far as I know they get housekeeping services every day just like the rest of us. I think there is a special thread in trip advisor for timeshare owners. You may get some more replies if you post there.. Also the Timeshare Users Group is a great source of information. Good luck! This does not sound good.

reviews: 66
2. Re: Timeshare sale stopped by Windjammer

Hi Steph.

You go girl. Yell it from the highest mountain. Don't let a bullying timeshare salesman threaten you. Have they all not learned anything in this time of social media? There's no place to hide.

I've read some awesome reviews on TA about the beloved new Timeshare salesman at WJ. Some people getting so p.o'd at the usual salesman lies.

Sorry you lost your sale and good luck.

3. Re: Timeshare sale stopped by Windjammer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:27 pm, January 26, 2013

Sussex Inlet...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Timeshare sale stopped by Windjammer

I looked at buying a timeshare directly with sales at WJammer. They informed me that I would not be allowed to purchase a timeshare from anyone except them. They keep all their prices secret and they do not provide a website showing what is available. I just got a quote on a piece of paper. When speaking to WJ owners on site, there are people who want to sell. As told by the sales at WJ only they can buy the timeshare back and only they can sell the timeshare on again. Can anyone help with further information on this aspect of buying.

Sussex Inlet...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Timeshare sale stopped by Windjammer

I looked at buying a timeshare directly with sales at WJammer. They informed me that I would not be allowed to purchase a timeshare from anyone except them. They keep all their prices secret and they do not provide a website showing what is available. I just got a quote from them on piece of paper. When speaking to WJ owners on site, there are people who want to sell. As told by the sales at WJ only they can buy the timeshare back and only they can sell the timeshare on again. Can anyone help with further information on this aspect of buying.

reviews: 66
6. Re: Timeshare sale stopped by Windjammer

Lies. Never buy retail.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 4
7. Re: Timeshare sale stopped by Windjammer

Lettiem55 -

First, let me say that I am an owner at Windjammer, but otherwise I am not affiliated with them. I would like to point out a few things that might explain some of your experience.

A few years ago, Windjammer converted to a sales system of "points" instead of "week number 13 in villa 505". You buy a certain number of points which can then be used to get an amount of time in a level of accommodation. For instance, you buy enough points for one week in a three-bedroom in an off-season week. If you decide you only need a one-bedroom accommodation, your points might get you two weeks. I don't know the trade-off, so don't take my example as a real one. That's why you would not see a price list with what was available - everything is available for the right number of points. And that's why a website would not be helpful without a sales person to explain it.

Part of the contract an owner signed upon purchase was that the Windjammer has the right to match any sale offer. So, if I want to sell to you at any price, I have to make the SAME offer to the Windjammer, and I have to sell to them if they will meet that price. No choice - I cannot sell it to you if they want to buy it. That was done so the Windjammer could protect the market value of their timeshares.

What may be happening is that the Windjammer is buying all the resales where it is a week/villa combination in order to maximize their available properties under the point system.

That may not make people happy, but if that is what is happening, then the Windjammer is within their rights.

By the way, I have never complained about owners that bought on the resale market having the same benefits at a lower price than I paid. Maybe the price will be lower, but the buy-back policy ensures that timeshares are not sold for pennies on the dollar.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
8. Re: Timeshare sale stopped by Windjammer

Thanks for posting this. Just got back from WJL and no plans to sell as yet, although we did have some issues this time with builders angle grinding between 9 and 6 until we complained plus a rather more serious security issue. Such a shame because, overall, the resort is great and housekeeping was superb this year but these issues are starting to mount up. Sadly I can no longer recommend Wjl until they get their act together. The security issue is still ongoing sadly. I am going to address this in a separate report once we have given the Management time for an official and sympathetic response. this issue affects owners and potential new guests alike.

Edited: 5:43 pm, January 29, 2014
Woking, United...
reviews: 35
9. Re: Timeshare sale stopped by Windjammer

We lost our first buyer at the same time as Steph, although WJL dispute this, they say that they eventually admitted that they had made an error & that our buyers should have accepted this. After alot of discussion, WJL agreed to 'try & sell our unit on our behalf' however, we stupidly thought that this meant that they would actively try to sell our unit. Unfortunately for us it meant that if someone asked specifically for a unit that matched ours exactly, they would mention it to them. Despite assurances that they would be able to sell it, they couldn't.

They have also flatly refused to buy back our unit, so as far as we are concerned that negates any right they have to be obstructive with any potential buyer.

We are now trying to GIVE our unit away, & had a couple interested, however, they went off to speak to WJL & we hadn't heard from them since, so it looks like another 'buyer' lost!

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
10. Re: Timeshare sale stopped by Windjammer

Lettie

I have no docent experience of trying to sell but the way it was explained to me was

1) you find a private buyer and agree a price

2) Wjl have right of first refusal

3) if they do not want the unit back you can go ahead and sell privately but there is a transfer fee which either the owner or buyer agrees to pay to Wjl

4) the paperwork is done and all deeds and current owner rights under the contract are transferred.

Therefore it sounds like an over zealous timeshare salesperson was not being truthful when saying one can only buy through Windjammer. Unless he/she got confused as, in the end, the paperwork and final transaction can only be done by them?

Reply to: Timeshare sale stopped by Windjammer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted