We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North-South helicopter tour?

Which Castries hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
reviews: 83
North-South helicopter tour?

I was wondering if anybody had done the North-South helicopter tour and what you thought? Does it give you the kind of spectacular views that make the price worthwhile (I know that is a very relative question!!!) We got a quote from Serenity tours (plus hotel pick-up) although I read in another post that the tour itself is run by St. Lucia helicopters....anyway, the quote is reasonable but since we are planning a number of overland excursions anyway, we're just wondering whether it truly is worth the expense...?

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
reviews: 10
1. Re: North-South helicopter tour?

Yes, the tour itself is operated by St. Lucia Helicopters. They are the only helicopter company on the island. Any other operator is adding in perhaps r/t transport from your resort and a convenience fee for them to book it for you. You can see the actual tour prices on the SLH website: www.stluciahelicopters.com

We have done the island tour several times. We live here and have obviously seen all over the island, but still find the helo tour awesome every time. Personally, we especially like the flight directly over the Pitons and the portion along the virtually deserted northeast coast. And of course, flying over the house!! To us, it is well worth it. Others may not think so. Personally, I would find it much more cost effective and interesting than the short 8-10 minute shuttle transfer and it only costs a very little bit more!

Enjoy, either way!

Newark, Delaware
reviews: 69
2. Re: North-South helicopter tour?

Absolutely worth it. We did many excursions all over the island and this was our number one. This was the most money we spent for anything. For the two of us it was $350 US, which was 3 times more than a night at any of the hotels we stayed at, but definitely worth it. You get very close to the Pitons as you circle them and flying over ridges as the ground drops off below is exhilarating. As RP says the NE coast is amazing and you would never see it. You also can see much of the interior that you could not otherwise. I surprised my wife with this and we really loved it. I highly recommend taking video if your camera can do so and you have enough memory.

Belfast, United...
3. Re: North-South helicopter tour?

Thank you so much for your replies! Yes, the cost is a bit forbidding ($350 for two plus $40 taxi from Ti Kaye per person) but it would be a really different thing to do... I have been in a helicopter several times (work-related) and loved it but my hubby has never tried it! Given that volcanoes are one of his fascinations, I think getting close and personal with the Pitons area would be fantastic for him! Anyway, we have till November to decide but it's a definite maybe!

Newark, Delaware
4. Re: North-South helicopter tour?

Just in case you didn't know, the Pitons I think are classified as Volcanic Plugs, as pressure built them up, but was never released as in erupting volcanoes. So they just look like cone shaped mountains mostly covered in vegetation. The short video at Sulphur Springs (The "drive-in volcano") described this, which we saw right after climbing Gros. Our Gros Piton guide did not know it.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
5. Re: North-South helicopter tour?

The UNESCO, world heritage site has additional info. on the stratovolcano, Pitons / Piton Management area

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1161

BBnugget, Enjoying all your reviews!

Belfast, United...
6. Re: North-South helicopter tour?

Thank you so much, Flowers and BBnugget, for your very informative posts. I'm sure my resident volcano expert (also known as the "better half") can't wait to do his research...! Funny, wherever we go in the world, we seem to end up close to a volcano somehow!!! My all-time favourite so far was Stromboli (one of the islands of the Sicilian coast in Italy) which was actually spitting flames at night! Anyway, can't wait to see the beauty of St. Lucia close up! We had actually been considering Antigua as an alternative simply because we could have done a day-trip to the Montserrat volcano...

Newark, Delaware
7. Re: North-South helicopter tour?

We loved staying at Arenal Volcano Observatory Lodge (Costa Rica) in the Smithsonian Rooms which have full wall windows with the volcano filling them. Clouds hover over it often, but we saw lava rolling down in little balls frequently. Amazingly beautiful area with monkeys swinging by, a nearby waterfall, and great flora.

It used to be a research facility and is extremely close to the volcano, but is separated by a lower creek so it is safe.

8. Re: North-South helicopter tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 18, 2014