We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money money money... And must sees please!

London, United...
reviews: 2
Money money money... And must sees please!

Hi guys, we are SO excited that we leave for St Lucia from the UK on Monday. We're first timers, staying at Crystals and have a jeep booked to explore.

Couple of questions please. Is it best to take US dollars or East Caribbean dollars or credit cards?! What is best to pay for tours, restaurants and shopping?

And it's my birthday during our stay and I would love to go out on a boat for the day - probably from Soufriere given where we are staying. Does anyone know a fantastic trip we could go on please?

Finally, what wouldn't you leave St Lucia without doing?

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 235
1. Re: Money money money... And must sees please!

Def take a credit card... it's all i personally ever use abroad for larger purchases such as hire cars or mid range tours

I take US dollars (as I always have loads) and sterling but not much and only for small stuff... And get change in EC which I use in small quantities

Not sure if they still do it but we had a pirate ship ( from pirates of Caribbean film) Cruise up and down the west coast as seeing the pitons from the sea is a must. We also flew between the pitons by helicopter but that was our transfer to sugar beach- jalousie plantation in old money

Lunch at Ladera then sunset cocktails is amust to get views to the pitons

Maybe swimming and snorkelling at sugar beach with lunch

Half a day in soufriere

The drive in volcano-definately

Vieux fort

Lots and lots and lots more but they would be the things to not miss but if you are there for more than seven days then do more. If we go for just 7 then half that time would be just chill axing

We hired a jeep (and u really really do need a jeep ) for I think 3 days and that was enough for us mainly as we were based in jalousie so got the main big things done easily and on our doorstep

When we went to the north of the island we were disappointed

Newark, Delaware
reviews: 70
2. Re: Money money money... And must sees please!

I guess you are knew to TA, but these questions have been asked and answered hundreds of times. Top questions on the sides of this page answer currency, if viewing from a mobile device, you must view the full page. And a search of must do's on the forum have hundreds of must-do posts, most with the same answers as well as many posts referencing the available boat tours. There is also a "things to do button" and many reviewed activities. In general, if you just search in St Lucia forums, you will find far more information than what you will get from a few posters. It is also easier and quicker for you to do that than wait for replies.

And I'm not sure where the rumor to change into US money came from as many people ask it. If coming from the US, that might make sense as they take it, but you still lose some conversion and if you do it from outside the US, you would lose twice.

Dublin, Ireland
3. Re: Money money money... And must sees please!

Although that boat trip started from the north

U can always get a water taxi from soufriere to take u out to sea for piton views

Dublin, Ireland
4. Re: Money money money... And must sees please!

Yeah as bb says maybe not deliberately get US dollars in large amounts as u lose twice . But on arrival if u have already got US dollars that will get you started especially if You have small denominations

Edited: 10:41 am, February 09, 2013
London, United...
5. Re: Money money money... And must sees please!

Thanks to everyone who has replied with help. We really appreciate it.

To bbnugget... I am new. And it's nice to feel welcomed.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
reviews: 10
6. Re: Money money money... And must sees please!

Mystic Man offers several cruise options out of Soufriere - no need to drive all the way up to Castries/Rodney Bay Marina for a tour that will bring you back down to Soufriere!! They have several different boat types, sunset or day cruises, fishing, etc. Excellent.

Sunset cocktails at Ladera followed by dinner at Hotel Chocolat right across the road is a perfect romatic gourmet dining experience - excellent.

Don't change currency twice - you lose twice that way. If you have some US already, bring it along, otherwise, you will get the best exchange rate with sterling traveler's checks and exchange them at a bank on island into EC. After that - bring small amount of sterling and exchange for EC on island (at banks, all have same rate). CC are fairly widely available and ATMs are fairly widely available also, to get some more cash if needed.

Enjoy your trip!!

leeds
reviews: 7
7. Re: Money money money... And must sees please!

The brigg unicorn ( pirates of the caribbean )is in dock next to captain mikes. That's not moving amywhere for a while , and be careful if you want to take a photo of it , we did last year around 9 o clock at night a guy jumped up from inside the ship and started shouting at me. Nearly fell in the sea !

Don't know what his problem was, he was ok when I'd bought him a bottle of piton though lol got photos inside and out and enjoyed my beer onboard.

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
reviews: 53
8. Re: Money money money... And must sees please!

Hi,

Re currency the best exchange rate coming from the UK is to take sterling travellers cheques and change them to EC$ on the Island. The next best way is to take sterling cash. Have a look at

http://www.bankofsaintlucia.com/

for Friday's rates(bottom of the page). Travellers Cheques are in the "non cash" column.

If you buy EC$ in the uk you will get a far worse rate and also if you buy USD as reedprincess has said you will pay to exchange them twice.

Credit cards/Debit Cards work well but it depends upon your provider what fee you pay and how good the exchange rate.

If you happen to have any USD at home bring them because they can be used very easily.

Trips are well covered above.

STEVE

Edited: 3:21 am, February 10, 2013
London, United...
9. Re: Money money money... And must sees please!

Take sterling and change it in st lucia into the local currency which is ec dollars! No point changing into US dollars, even tho many places except it.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
10. Re: Money money money... And must sees please!

Currency Exchange...

On arrival at Hewanorra International Airport (UVF), to Eastern Caribbean Dollars (XCD).

1 GBP = 4.26 XCD AND 1 USD = 2.70 XCD

Very convenient (no long bank lines) when needed, street vendors exchange 1 USD = 2.50 - 2.60 XCD.

Must see (& do)...

Hike the Gros Piton, Drive-In Volcano & Sulpher Springs Park (Black Mud Baths), Soufriere's Farmer's Market, Hotel Chocolat's Tree-to-Bar Chocolate Tour, Choiseul Arts & Crafts Center at La Fargue (Choiseul), Rudy John Beach (Laborie), Kitesurf at Anse des Sables/Sandy Beach (Vieux Fort),

And for your B'day boat ride... take a World Heritage Coast Cruise on our water taxi Tribute To The Lion.

North & south views of The Pitons rising from the sea, multiple swim/snorkel stops at hidden beaches & coves and roped & bouyed sites in front of hotel/resorts.

Your cruise may, also, include whale/dolphin watching, local line fishing and a Carib One-Pot lunch on a remote beach...

Bless up! Paul