We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell service, sorry I know it's a vacation destination!!

Which St. Lucia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Holmes, NY
reviews: 4
Cell service, sorry I know it's a vacation destination!!

hi, my husband and I need to stay on the grid for work when we go away and were wondering if there is any Verizon or AT&T cell service on the island? I know it's vacation, but the sad truth is the only way we can relax is knowing that we can be reached in an emergency, not that we necessarily need to stay in contact every minute. Thanks for any advice.

Peoria, Illinois
1. Re: Cell service, sorry I know it's a vacation destination!!

I looked up verizon myself and it appears to work, but is 1.99 a minute. We plan on keeping in touch via wifi at the hotel (and facetime/skype) our family.

Atlanta
reviews: 12
2. Re: Cell service, sorry I know it's a vacation destination!!

I've known people to have trouble with Verizon. We have AT&T and it works fine.

Holmes, NY
reviews: 4
3. Re: Cell service, sorry I know it's a vacation destination!!

Thanks for the responses. We have Verizon. Anyone else use Verizon successfully?

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
reviews: 93
4. Re: Cell service, sorry I know it's a vacation destination!!

AT&T is the carrier of choice on the island. Contrary to what was posted above, Verizon will not work as it isn't supported but Verizon likes to tell their customers it does work. If you have an unlocked ATT phone you can buy a sim card for cheap and use that to call and/or text (we do and it's great) or you can buy yourself a cheap phone at the Digicel store for about $15 to $20. You just need to go to the Digicel store for your initial setup and after that, if you find yourself needing more minutes, you can just pop in a digicel corner shop which you will find all over at people's houses or small shops. You'll know you can get a top off there as the sign will be posted outside.

Connecticut
reviews: 2
5. Re: Cell service, sorry I know it's a vacation destination!!

Can you get a SIM card for an iPhone 5 In st Lucia?

Edited: 7:40 am, February 10, 2013
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
reviews: 10
6. Re: Cell service, sorry I know it's a vacation destination!!

If your phone is unlocked, you can usually get a SIM card for it. Whether you can use all the bells and whistles of an iphone 5 is debatable, only the 4 has only begun recently being sold on the island, but for cell service, yes - if your phone is unlocked.

And I second nevera - while Verizon tells you it works on the island - it does not. You will need a backup plan.

Connecticut
reviews: 2
7. Re: Cell service, sorry I know it's a vacation destination!!

Thanks reedprincess, The iphone 5 uses a smaller sim card than the 4. I have Verizon, and the iphone 5 is unlocked.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
reviews: 10
8. Re: Cell service, sorry I know it's a vacation destination!!

Then I wouldn't count on it. The 4 is only relatively recently available on the island - the 5, most likely not supported yet. You can buy a very cheap cell phone just to make/receive calls at the same time you pick up a SIM card - around $10-$25US, which you can then use on any other islands and a lot of other countries which also do not support Verizon or other US carriers.

Good luck.

Buffalo, New York
reviews: 3
9. Re: Cell service, sorry I know it's a vacation destination!!

Digicel has an international calling plan available, 20 EC for 120 minutes to US, Canada, and Europe. You have to use the time within 2 weeks and I believe it's only good for calling landlines.

Newark, Delaware
reviews: 68
10. Re: Cell service, sorry I know it's a vacation destination!!

Our basic "Non-smart" Verizon phones definitely did not work. I don't know how they get away with telling people they will. We got a cheap phone at the Digicell in Vieux Fort across from the Super J. I think it was about $35 US including a $10 US Sim card. The prices are in E.C. there, which we momentarily forgot when we saw the $90 cost. We wanted one mainly for emergencies or if we needed to call a destination where we were going. It came in handy a few times like for our helicopter tour, and we ended up getting an extra $10 put on our Sim card.

The other big thing is that you get unlimited incoming calls. So we could call home and have our families call us back and not be rushed.