We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals while in St. Lucia

Alstead, NH
Car rentals while in St. Lucia

Is it better to hire a private driver or to rent a car oneself? There are four of us -- mother, father and two adult daughters traveling to St. Lucia to celebrate youngest daughter's 50th birthday in April. What are the regulations regarding car rentals? Age requirements? (parents are over aged 65)

38 replies to this topic
Soufriere, St. Lucia
1. Re: Car rentals while in St. Lucia

Bon jou kingsburywarren,

You can obtain a St. Lucia Drivers License on arrival at the airport for a small fee and upon presentation of your valid DL. There are no "age requirements". However, you may find the Looshan driving style and road conditions stressful.

You've travelled all this way, why spend your time driving?

Relax & enjoy the scenery with a private land or water taxi with the added benefits of touring the island on your own schedule while being taken care of in a safe & timely manner by a friendly home-grown guide who knows the history, culture & traditions, the best local sites & tours and where to find delicious local food & drinks.

Bless up! Paul

Los Angeles...
2. Re: Car rentals while in St. Lucia

Conogoman. What is a good water taxi company? One that will take you to the Pitons to hike?

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
reviews: 103
3. Re: Car rentals while in St. Lucia

You can hire a driver for your entire time on island and work out an arrangement with them for your needs rather than hiring someone per trip. We did that one visit and it worked out well. On the other hand you can rent a car and I believe you need to have a doctor's note that you are physically and mentally able to drive if you are over age 65. The car rental company will take care of the license part for you as well.

Los Angeles...
4. Re: Car rentals while in St. Lucia

Nevera...

may I ask what taxi service you used?

Thank you!

Tours, France
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Loire Valley, Centre
reviews: 6
5. Re: Car rentals while in St. Lucia

In my opinion renting a car and doing what you want to do, when you want to do it, is far preferable to using a taxi to explore the island. You obviously need to take your drivers licence with you, and unless you also have an international drivers licence, you will need to purchase a St Lucian driving permit. The hire company will arrange that.

I personally was not aware of any restrictions for drivers over 65; so I did a quick web check on the hire companies I have used in St Lucia. I found one, Beeze, who had this restriction, Driveamatic require a doctor's certificate, but others I checked (Smart Car, Courtesy) had no mention of this. I suggest you e-mail this question to the car rental company you select.

Hollywood
reviews: 6
6. Re: Car rentals while in St. Lucia

A list of Taxi drivers to consider.

http://uptodatestlucia.com/index.php?id=45

Vieux Fort, St...
7. Re: Car rentals while in St. Lucia

Beware of drivers from the Northern Taxi association.

Toronto
reviews: 38
8. Re: Car rentals while in St. Lucia

I agree with Sunlover - a rental gives you a lot more freedom and it is quite easy to find your way around as there's only 1 main roadway which pretty much encircles the entire island. However as Congoman has mentioned, hiring a driver provides intangible benefits such as knowledgable guide who can give you lots of insight into St Lucia.

Edited: 8:39 am, March 06, 2011
Saudi
9. Re: Car rentals while in St. Lucia

Hey Congoman!! what's up? If we rent our own car can you guide me in the right direction for someone to drive us around everyday? I'll pay for the car and pay the driver for his services daily for the 6 days we are going to be there.

Saudi
10. Re: Car rentals while in St. Lucia

Hey Congoman what's up? If I rent a car for hte 6 day's we are there can you offer some names of people that I can hire to drive us around everyday? Thanks

Reply to: Car rentals while in St. Lucia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted