We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Windjammer AI, OK for surprise 50th and teenage kids?

London, United...
Is Windjammer AI, OK for surprise 50th and teenage kids?

My wife is coming up for her half century next year and I want to take her somewhere special as a surprise, and keep my teenage daughter (16) and son (14) entertained.

I have done much research and believe that Windjammers looks the best bet. We will be charged about $12,000 US for a weeks AI and flights next April from London.

My concerns are that we like to get out and about and dine at new places (whereas my kids who are 'in' on the surprise like the idea of eating pizza, drinking 20 cokes a day and all the sports they can handle).

Travel agents in the UK do not seem to offer an option of a few days AI, then an alternative. I thought of doing the bookings myself but this time I cannot undercut the travel agents.

I had thought of a villa but the windjammer has teenage club and all the sports (again on AI).

Am I doing the right thing or has someone a much better idea?

Cheers

Tallahassee
reviews: 22
1. Re: Is Windjammer AI, OK for surprise 50th and teenage kids?

Book just the room through your travel agent. The windjammer sells AI plans in three day packages.

I am taking my two teenagers this summer and from what I hear the resort has plenty of things to do for adults and kids.

I booked a 2 room villa only and when I arrive I can then purchase the AI plan at that time. This is a good value since when we arrive it will be late in the day and I would have wasted money for that day, same for when we leave it will be breakfast only. We plan on just paying for dinner the first night and then start the AI plan (6 days) and two days we'll be off the resort doing activities so it's snacks and food as part of the excursion.

If you can just book the room only then do it that way.

London, United...
2. Re: Is Windjammer AI, OK for surprise 50th and teenage kids?

Thanks rtsunset,

That is good news. I will probably book room only, then as per your advice start the AI 'next day' for a 3 day spell ands see how that goes.

I have been told that if I book in the UK I have to have the same plan the whoile week.

I also kids 12-16 paid $75 per day. In the UK anyone over 12 pays the same rate, so is it true that early teens pay less (would have thought so ndue to alcohol restrictions).

Cheers