We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Which St. Jean hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener, Canada
Mosquitoes

I have been reading that there are issues with mosquitoes. I typically do not have issues with them while traveling in the Caribbean. Are they that bad in St Bart’s or just comparable to other islands.

Is there any particular bug spray I should bring with me?

How are the bugs we arrive on Sunday....

8 replies to this topic
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
reviews: 5
1. Re: Mosquitoes

It's the tropics so there's always to possibility of mosquitoes but it's not much different on St. Barth's then it is on most other caribbean Islands. On our numerous trips to St. Barth's we've never had any major "bug issues".

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St Barthelemy
reviews: 278
2. Re: Mosquitoes

I can't say Mosquitos are any better or worse on St Barths than any of the other islands in the region.

Repellents are available in the supermarkets on the island if you forget to bring any.

Atlanta,GA
reviews: 1
3. Re: Mosquitoes

St Barts is a mostly dry island so they are definitely not any worse than elsewhere in the Caribbean. Having written that, it's important to be careful since as a medical person I'm aware they can transmit disease. We agree with the previous poster to spray, especially if you are staying down low since there is less breeze than on the hillsides. One note. Since it's a French island much of the accommodation does not have screens. We choose to stay at a private villa up high where the American owner has installed them and the neighborhood is sprayed on a regular basis as well.

Kitchener, Canada
4. Re: Mosquitoes

Thanks for the advice. I have purchased spray to take with us. My husband(as of tomorrow) always gets bit usually by the No-See-Ums so even it the mosquitoes don't bug us it should help him.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
5. Re: Mosquitoes

Since it's a French island much of the accommodation does not have screens.

=======================================

Can you elaborate? French, no screens, I have no idea what you mean

Boston...
reviews: 3
6. Re: Mosquitoes

Plenty of bug spray on the island so don't bother carrying any on the flight down. We always fly with carry on only and aerosols will be confiscated and most liquid sprays are larger than the restriction for liquids in any case. The Mosquitos tend to hang out in the shadier areas at the villas. They carry Dengue fever so it is best to use some repellant if out and about in the evening

St Barts
7. Re: Mosquitoes

<Since it's a French island much of the accommodation does not have screens.

=======================================

Can you elaborate? French, no screens, I have no idea what you mean>>

In America there is frequently mosquito netting over the windows, the properties on St Barts don't tend to have these.

Kitchener, Canada
8. Re: Mosquitoes

Thanks for all messages we are back now and had no issues..

Reply to: Mosquitoes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted