We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much of a party hotel is the Tom Beach Hotel?

Which St. Jean hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
reviews: 10
How much of a party hotel is the Tom Beach Hotel?

Wy wife and I are thinking about traveling to St. Barths this summer in early July and were wondering if the Tom Beach Hotel might be too much of a loud, drunk, party atmosphere for us. We are in our early 40's and are active and like a lively, but not cheesy, environment. We usually stay at upscale boutique hotels but many of the ones in St. Barths looked to us like they are not ideally located or are not on or within walking distance of a nice beach.

The Tom Beach Hotel seems to be ideally located for us with restaurants and stores in walking distance, with a nice beach, which is key for us . The service gets very good reviews as well. We considered the Eden Rock but it is a bit too pricey for us (we are looking to keep it to under $750 a night or so).

If anyone can share their experiences at the Tom Beach and what the vibe may be like at the hotel and restaurant/bar, it would be much appreciated. While we are not looking for a quiet secluded spot, we also are not looking to be surrounded by people constantly getting drunk and obnoxious (not saying that the Tom Beach is like that - we just don't know and it's hard to tell from the reviews).

If there are other places that may better fit the bill (nice beach and luxurious accommodations) please let us know.

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St Barthelemy
reviews: 16
1. Re: How much of a party hotel is the Tom Beach Hotel?

Other than during the holidays, I don't think things get too crazy at Tom Beach. Of course, it will also depend on what other guests are there at the same time. If you are looking for a place on St Jean beach, have you considered Emeraulde Plage? It's right next to the Eden Rock and more upscale than Tom Beach. Also Les Islets sur la Plage at the other end. Not luxe but nice, private cottages.

Also note that while its great to stay on the beach, you will really be missing out if you don't visit several during your stay. So you may wish to consider Le Serano or Guanihani on Grand Cul de Sac where you will also find some restaurants in walking distance.

columbus
reviews: 11
2. Re: How much of a party hotel is the Tom Beach Hotel?

I second miamiesgirl's advice, take a look at Emeraude Plage or Les Ilets de la Plage if you would like more budget friendly accomodations on St. Jean and a little more space. You won't find the loud, drunken crowds in St. Barth like you would on St. Marteen, but Le Tom is lively all day, and does have music into the night. I for one like an impromptu nap during the day, and sometimes crash before midnight on vacation, and doing so might be more difficult at Le Tom.

But early July will be quiet and more laid back, so that would be in your favor. It's a wonderful place, one of my all-time favorite places to spend a day or night in St. Barth. I think spending a week there would be a blast, but if you're an early to bed or light sleeper I'd go elsewhere. B

New York City, New...
reviews: 21
3. Re: How much of a party hotel is the Tom Beach Hotel?

For me it is the human traffic not just the noise that is the turn off. Everyone comes through and past the rooms to get to La Plage and yes in the afternoon it is a loud party. The pool really isn't used...so I third the idea of Emmeraulde Plage. You can walk to the party at La Plage or Nikki Beach and return to room for peace.

Connecticut
reviews: 10
4. Re: How much of a party hotel is the Tom Beach Hotel?

Thanks everyone. We wound up booking a room at the Eden Rock instead - the summer package price in the Eden Rock garden room was similar to the package price for the ocean view room at the Tom Beach so we went with the Eden Rock.

Reply to: How much of a party hotel is the Tom Beach Hotel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted