We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couleurs des Iles, Rue General de Gaulle, Gustavia, St Barts

Which Gustavia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Easton, Connecticut
reviews: 16
Couleurs des Iles, Rue General de Gaulle, Gustavia, St Barts

Couleurs des iles, shop Rue General de Gaulle, Gustavia, French Caribbean

Category: Travel

Page Bottom ↓

Get email updates about this conversation

1 review

4/23/2013 j l. says:

Couleurs des Iles: On the Rue General Charles de Gaulle, about 3 streets up the shore, running parallel to Gustavia Harbor in St. Bart's, I found a hat, beach clothes/cigar shop. The staff was helpful and I bought a tan sun hat. I wore it for an hour and the stitching holding the brim together ripped. Bringing the hat back and not finding another, the owner, a kindly man, had it sewn. He promised the hat was packable and I carefully wrapped it in tissue and followed his directions. However, the hat is unwearable since it now has 4 large creases and comes to an odd point at the top. The price was 190 euros, about $250, and I plan to return it next year to be refunded. I will keep you posted as to the willingness of this owner to stand behind his goods!

I post this to aid other shoppers in St. Bart's.

4 replies to this topic
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
reviews: 217
1. Re: Couleurs des Iles, Rue General de Gaulle, Gustavia, St Barts

Good Luck !

uk
reviews: 134
2. Re: Couleurs des Iles, Rue General de Gaulle, Gustavia, St Barts

Just back today with a panama hat bought two days ago where the stitching started to come apart on the band the same day we bought it!

There are a few nice places for clothes in Gustavia, but there's also an awful lot of over-priced not very well made things.

I'd not hold my breath for a refund.

Easton, Connecticut
reviews: 16
3. Re: Couleurs des Iles, Rue General de Gaulle, Gustavia, St Barts

Thanks, you are probably right about the refund, maybe a store credit? Oh well.

But that is the value of these blogs, maybe folks can avoid getting taken.

Did you buy your hat from that same shop?

Thanks!

uk
reviews: 134
4. Re: Couleurs des Iles, Rue General de Gaulle, Gustavia, St Barts

No, it was on the main street on a corner on the right hand side - we just needed a sun hat for the week and didn't expect it to last, to be honest.

It cost 85 euros, could have got a better one in London for 50 euros - c'est la vie!

We did notice in St Jean that many, many shops there are deeply discounting (a few are closing), and compared to our visit last year it was clear that (uber rich aside), St Barths is I think currently suffering from a definite downturn in visitor numbers - we overheard so many people from hairdressers to stores complaining that there were so few visitors this last week.

This might lead to some keener prices, but again I'd not hold my breath.

Edited: 6:36 am, April 28, 2013
Reply to: Couleurs des Iles, Rue General de Gaulle, Gustavia, St Barts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gustavia