We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We booked!

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 16
We booked!

My husband and I booked our trip to Montserrat and Antigua. I am so excited!!! We are visiting mid april. We will stay 1 night in Antigua then fly over to Montserrat for 5 days, then back to Antigua for another 5. I have a few questions.

Are the waters calm this time of year?

Do the evenings get chilly?

Are there fisherman that we can buy fish from directly (on the beaches)?

Are there fishermen willing to take you out on their boats?

Is Guinness Foreign Extra beer available on the island? That's my husbands favorite beer in the caribbean.

Is there overproof rum? Sometimes, it's a good drink.

I am going to TRY and pack only a carry-on. Is sunblock available at the store on the island? If so, I am aware it will cost more.

Thanks for any tips and advice. Anything we MUST do, other than the volcano tour?

Columbus, Ohio
11. Re: We booked!

Thanks! I hope you're having a lot of fun on the island.

Maple Glen, Pa.
12. Re: We booked!

Jeannie, I found your overproof rum at Ram's market....now for the sunblock. I believe that the question has been asked on this board before and someone said that sunblock is available and where to find it, but I don't see any around. Where are you staying and are you renting a jeep?...from whom? I was thinking that if you happened to be renting a jeep from my property manager (who rents out a couple Rav4's) , then maybe I could leave some with him for you? Also, consider bringing some deep woods off as it can get buggy at times.

Columbus, Ohio
13. Re: We booked!

You are awesome mfcav01!

Matt will be happy to know that OP rum is available.

I bought the little tubes of sunblock at our grocery last week. They were 50% off and 3oz containers, so I will be able to pack them in our luggage (we're doing carry-on only). I got 5 of the little sunblock bottles. I think that will be enough for Montserrat. We are heading to Antigua after Montserrat so I can always pick some up there if I need more.

I am bringing some Repel bug spray. Little 2oz bottles that are 99% deet. A little goes a long way. Thanks for that tip because I was unsure of HOW buggy it gets. I'm not a bug-a-phobic, just the mosquitoes are annoying.

I'm not sure if we are renting a car. We might for one day or we'll hire a driver to show us around the island. We are staying at Bunkum.

Who do you recommend hiring a car from if we choose to get one for a day? Suggestion for a tour guide? We'll definitely need to hire someone to go to the volcano area. We would like to kayak to Rendevous Beach so we'll need a ride to Green Monkey. Public transportation is fine with us too.

Thank you so much for thinking of me! I am getting really excited for our trip.

Maple Glen, Pa.
14. Re: We booked!

Ok Jeannie, So I am out with some friends tonight, and I ask my property manager if he rents out his vehicle for just 1 day and he says usually no but he would be glad to help. Later in the conversation and after a few drinks, I mention about the overproof rum, which I had not heard of. I'm guessing that he is kidding, but he promptly retracts his offer to rent a car to you...LOL!!

Anyway, it may be cheaper to simply rent a car for a few days and explore the island...definately cheaper than a taxi. A Montserrat driver's license is US $20, and rentals run $40 per day. A simple taxi ride to the airport may be $20-25. We always rent a car for a week when we visit. Let me know and I will gladly leave his name/cell phone # for you or a link to my villa website, where his info is listed.

Columbus, Ohio
15. Re: We booked!

LOL. I hope he is kidding. We do NOT drink and drive anywhere, even after just a couple of drinks. That's why we might be better just hiring a driver/guide and take public transportation except for a day or two. We also like to walk/hike. We walk for miles in Jamaica to get to a restaurant or a rum bar.

Our guesthouse stay includes airport transfers. :)

If you don't mind, I would like his # and a link to your website. Thanks again for all of the helpful info.

16. Re: We booked!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Montserrat