We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We booked!

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 15
We booked!

My husband and I booked our trip to Montserrat and Antigua. I am so excited!!! We are visiting mid april. We will stay 1 night in Antigua then fly over to Montserrat for 5 days, then back to Antigua for another 5. I have a few questions.

Are the waters calm this time of year?

Do the evenings get chilly?

Are there fisherman that we can buy fish from directly (on the beaches)?

Are there fishermen willing to take you out on their boats?

Is Guinness Foreign Extra beer available on the island? That's my husbands favorite beer in the caribbean.

Is there overproof rum? Sometimes, it's a good drink.

I am going to TRY and pack only a carry-on. Is sunblock available at the store on the island? If so, I am aware it will cost more.

Thanks for any tips and advice. Anything we MUST do, other than the volcano tour?

Columbus, Ohio
1. Re: We booked!

Oh! Woohooo! That last post was my 1000th post on TA. Sorry, I know it's not travel related. I'm easily amused.

Maple Glen, Pa.
2. Re: We booked!

Jamaica...You should have a great time in April. The temperature in Montserrat is always around 80 degrees plus or minus a few, so no sweaters are necessary. Pools may still be slightly chilly, but the ocean should be great. There is no reef protection while swimming in the ocean, so an occasional wave may come by that puts sea water in your guinness.

Yes, guinness is popular on Montserrat, but I'm not sure about "foreign extra". They have bottled guinness, but not the type with the little nitrogen cartridge that keeps it fresh. There is ample rum, but not sure about "overproof".

I always bring sunblock. I believe that it is available on island, but may be hard to find. You might get in touch with Troy at Green Monkey dive shop about going fishing. He has a dive boat and can perhaps make suggestions. He could also perhaps answer about where to buy sun screen on island.

Once you arrive, just about any local on island will gladly answer questions about where and when to buy local fish .

Hope this helps....Mike

Columbus, Ohio
3. Re: We booked!

Thank you. Very helpful! We are really looking forward to our trip.

Maple Glen, Pa.
4. Re: We booked!

I'm going down in a few weeks to our place and will look so see if anyone has sunscreen or guinness foreign extra and post if no one has answered by then.

Columbus, Ohio
5. Re: We booked!

That's very nice of you. It's not a big deal but much appreciated. :)

I plan on taking a few travel size sunblocks but we might run out. Hopefully we will have a good enough base tan that we won't need it after a few days.

I was going to bring some bug repellant wipes or small cans of spray to take along too.

Have fun during your time there and thanks!

essex
reviews: 16
6. Re: We booked!

Wow! your going to have a brilliant time! Just got back from the festival 50. There's lots of Wray and Nephew rum on the island as well as some home brew sold in rum shops. I would take sun block to be on the safe side. Take as much clothes and dry goods as you can as carry on luggage, particularly if you are going by Liat airline, as they are notorious for leaving luggage behind or losing it. I found the waters at Little Bay fairly calm, but Montserrat is known for its strong sea currents. Always enquire from the Dive shops nearby. We ate lots of fresh fish from fishermen, just ask any of the locals who would be happy to point you in the right direction. As said before. I saw lots of Guiness but I'm noy sure about Foreign Extra. I found the nights warm, but I'm from England!

Have a great vacation in Montserrat. It really is a beautiful place to visit.

Columbus, Ohio
7. Re: We booked!

Thanks Dawnie. We are flying Fly Montserrat, I hope our luggage is ok. I always pack an extra pair of clothes in my carry-on just in case. ;)

Hope your trip was fun. Do you have any pictures you could share the links to?

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
8. Re: We booked!

All the Guinness is "Export"

Therefore stronger and slightly sweeter. Not because the 'troops' liked it that way but alcohol and sugar are preservatives so it will have a longer shelf life having spent who knows how long in containers and sitting on the dockside..................You will certainly know you have had one compared with several Caribs when you wonder if they have any alcohol content at all!

Montserrat always had the highest PER CAPITA consumption of Guinness if not worldwide but certainly in the region.

By using this argument we managed to get Guinness on board ( with Virgin ) as sponsors of the Many Happy Returns Montserrat Music festival in the 90's.

Check your onward luggage allowance!

Be aware that your luggage allowance will be less going back to Antigua than coming down..........! You get off a BA flight with 23 kilos and check in at Antigua to be told you now only have 20kgs....an interesting discussion with the check in staff then ensues!

LIAT no longer flies into Montserrat and has not done since the closure of the old airport destroyed by the pyroclastic flow of ash from the mountain.

If you see your luggage go on at Antigua( not difficult ) then you will see it come off! The plane is a small one.

A really interesting island .

Columbus, Ohio
9. Re: We booked!

Thanks GInandtonic.

Maple Glen, Pa.
10. Re: We booked!

I am on island and saw the guinness foreign exxtra in the market last night. I will check on the overproof rum.