We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report (Oct 2012 - as we go)

Houston
reviews: 27
Trip Report (Oct 2012 - as we go)

We are finally on Montserrat and in our villa (Villa Tropicasa).

When we landed in Antigua on Saturday the Montserrat airport was closed because of weather and it basically stayed that way until Monday. So, on Monday we were able to catch the SVG Air flight (great small planes - unless you don't like to fly), get to the villa and settle in some.

Ken Cassell, the owner of Villa Tropicasa met us at the airport, along with his regular Taxi man, Winston. Both, as is everyone we've ever met on Montserrat, are great people. Ken is an excellent host, met us at the villa and went through a walk-through with us.

The villa is perfect for us (two couples) and really exactly our style. I don't know if I'm allowed to put their website here by (www.sunislandrealestate.com/villatropicasa/) is it. As in most real estate photos, the pictures are "better" than the actual, but the villa is very nice. I'll rate it on their page on TA later.

Monday evening we ate at Tina's. This is a very nice, excellent food and affordable. Montserrat doesn't have "resorts" or "5-star" restaurants, which is why we came. However, you can't beat the food!

It poured rain throughout the afternoon and night, with at least one 20-30 minute period of "verticle rain". As on many islands, after verticle rain, the power in our area went out for about an hour - really No Problem, Mon.

I have no idea what we will do today - if anything :)

Mackenzie, Canada
reviews: 113
11. Re: Trip Report (Oct 2012 - as we go)

Looking forward to your trip report, Telly!

Glad you finally made it!

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 1
12. Re: Trip Report (Oct 2012 - as we go)

Nice posts. I am thinking of Montserrat next year and will not be renting a vehicle, so it is good to know what is available within walking distance.

Mackenzie, Canada
13. Re: Trip Report (Oct 2012 - as we go)

Depends on where you're staying, and your definition of 'walking distance'. :-)

If you are situated on one end of the island or the other it will be around 9km of walking, up some fairly steep grades.. We enjoyed it, though..

Woodlands Beach, for example, is about 2km from the main road, and decends steeply.. Enough that it was a bit of a trek coming back up, for sure!

But there are buses on the main road that you can flag down, they have green licence plates, that are cheap. But make sure you get to where you're going and back before 4, as everything (including buses) except the night clubs and some restaurants shut down!

We also were able to get a few rides from the locals without any prompting..

Edited: 3:49 pm, November 06, 2012
Mackenzie, Canada
14. Re: Trip Report (Oct 2012 - as we go)

And by 9km I mean walking from one end to the other, roundabouts.. 9-12km is what we averaged.

Edited: 3:51 pm, November 06, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 15
15. Re: Trip Report (Oct 2012 - as we go)

Thanks for the walking distance and bus info. We like to 'hoof it' when we are on vacation.

Mackenzie, Canada
16. Re: Trip Report (Oct 2012 - as we go)

It would have been nice to just jump in a car and go some days (especially on hike and beach days)..

But the roads are pretty winding and steep, and the locals are mostly good, but there are a few hot rodders.. And not for nothing, but most of the British expats and volcanoligists I talked to had dinged their rentals.. LOL

Biking is an option, but again, the roads and traffic make it hazardous..

Edited: 6:53 pm, November 06, 2012
Mackenzie, Canada
17. Re: Trip Report (Oct 2012 - as we go)

PS they drive on the other side of the street in Montserrat, making driving tricky to begin with.

18. Re: Trip Report (Oct 2012 - as we go)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 08, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Montserrat
Recent Conversations