We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 night stay in Vieques

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northampton, United...
4 night stay in Vieques

Hi, we (my husband, teenage son and myself) are spending a week in Puerto Rico before a weeks cruise around the Caribbean. It is our first time to Puerto Rico. We want to stay on Vieques for 4 nights and would love some advice on which areas are the best to stay. Not planning on hiring a car for the whole time we are on the island so would like to be somewhere that we can walk to beach/town etc but not on a main drag. Would love to stay somewhere over looking a beach. Also planning to do the bio-luminescence bay.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved - thanks

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
reviews: 29
1. Re: 4 night stay in Vieques

Hi

Vieques is a great place to stay and you will have a wonderful time. using this forum is a good way to get most of the information you need. your questions have been answered dozens of times so you can really get a wide array of opinions. like the one that you should have a car for the whole time you are there. or at least half of it as most of the beaches you want to go to need a vehicle to get to. and "taxis" dont go to most of them.

Usually if you have a car, where to stay is negligable. However since you will not have a car most of the time and you want to be "central", I suggest staying in Esperanza.Esperanza is the town on the south shore of the island. it is the "bar area" of the island with a pretty even mix of tourists and locals.You can find a place one or two streets back from the main drag so you are not right in it. from there you can walk to the main drag,called The Malecon. The Malecon is a promenade on the water front. across the street from that is a row of restaurants bars lodging and stores. Also from there you can easily be picked up for a bio bay tour. you can walk to Sun Bay beach area also. You wont likely find a place with an ocean view, but it is possible. You wont get one of a beach though. If you had a car and stayed on the north side you could find a rental on the beach however. But it isnt central, although it is close to the main town. easily walkable. the beaches on the north side are not as nice as on the south side.

Northampton, United...
2. Re: 4 night stay in Vieques

Thanks Frankipoo for the advice. We have looked at Hectors by the sea which looks really nice and away from the crowds. It says it is a mile from Esperanza so wondered if it close enough to walk for resturants etc? What is the Puerto Real area like?

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
reviews: 29
3. Re: 4 night stay in Vieques

well, Hectors is a great place. I would have suggested it except I don't know how walkable it is. especially on roads with no sidewalks. and if you had to walk back and forth for lunch and the beaches and dinner, its too much imho. if you were going to have a car the whole time, Id say yes, all the way. Puerto Real is not realistic without a car.

you really should rent a car the whole time. if you did, you would be able to rent a home that is more affordable to make up the extra cost of the car.

where have you looked for lodging?

check the classifieds here as well as at enchanted-isle.com

Phoenix, Arizona
4. Re: 4 night stay in Vieques

Also check homeaway.com and vrbo.com...there you will find a good selection with reviews, etc.

Puerto Rico
5. Re: 4 night stay in Vieques

Hi, Mummybeast -

Do yourselves a favor & rent a car while you're in Vieques. Exploring the island entirely on foot would be like going to summer camp without your sneakers. Can be done but not to be recommended.

A car will get to distant beaches with creature comforts like chairs and a cooler plus offer you greater flexibility with where to stay and dine (my favorite restaurant is not walkable from any location!)

But the biggest reason to have wheels in Vieques is for independence - something you won't have onboard a cruise ship.

Good luck with your travel plans! - MC

Iowa
reviews: 1
6. Re: 4 night stay in Vieques

Rent a car. It will be the best money you will spend on your entire vacation. IMHO. Have fun and make the most of those 4 days in paradise.

Northampton, United...
7. Re: 4 night stay in Vieques

Hi - I think I am getting the message here - rent a car!! Hectors still looks like our favourite and as it isn't feasible to really walk into town then will hire a car. Have looked at the sites that people have recommended and can't find anywhere that seems to beat it. I take it that hire car companies on the island are much the same - or can anyone recommend one?

Thanks so much for all the advice - as I said this is our first time to the Caribbean and are very excited.

St. Louis, Missouri
reviews: 77
8. Re: 4 night stay in Vieques

Definitely rent a car. We rented from Maritza's and got a good deal. They also drove us to and from the airport. You can't explore the best beaches without a car.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
reviews: 22
9. Re: 4 night stay in Vieques

Hi, mummybeast:

The first part of the message is "rent a car!" The second part is "Do it NOW!"

There is a perennial shortage of rental cars on the island, so it's important to start the rental process as soon as you can. We faithfully use Chepito, who specializes in "gently loved" autos. They're a few years old, they have lots of scratches & dents, but they are in good working order & affordable. Beach roads can be a little rough on cars so we prefer to stay away from the shiny new ones lest any scratches we add be too noticeable.

Others, however, prefer the peace of mind of renting a newer car. It's really up to you.

A quick search here on the forum for "Car rentals" will give you the low down on the various companies. Some have on-line booking. In our opinion, personally calling is best.

Vieques
reviews: 26
10. Re: 4 night stay in Vieques

Hectors only has three units, if that is where you want to stay it should also be booked well in advance.

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques