We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise for 16 people

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paris
reviews: 15
cruise for 16 people

I was wondering if there are any sailboat or catamaran operators on Vieques who could take our group for a cruise around the island. I have done this kind of thing before in the Caribbean but haven't found any recommendations etc. for Vieques.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
reviews: 51
1. Re: cruise for 16 people

I tried this before with a group of 20 persons and could not find anyone to do it. You can contact the different Catamaran companies but the best they will do is offer you a discount. These Cataramarans are big, they hold 40+ persons so unless you pay the tickets to charter the full boat, my experience was that you won't find anyone.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
reviews: 29
2. Re: cruise for 16 people

for a group that size, i think you will have to look in Fajardo for a charter. not sure how to go about that but it is possible one of the captains in Vieques can refer someone. you can go to the vieques events online to find one

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
reviews: 11
3. Re: cruise for 16 people

The Catamarans would be able to acomodate ypur Group, but in Fajardo area. They are sailing Catamarans and itwould take hours and hpirs to sail to Viequez, unless you charter the Island Flyer bit that would be super expensive. Cat's usually go for $ 2500 per charter

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
reviews: 29
4. Re: cruise for 16 people

hours and hours for a boat to go from fajardo to vieques?

a sailbot will not take hours and hours and neither would a motor boat. its less than 8 miles. if it took a sailboat hours and hours(which sounds like 4 hours or more) to go 8 miles, even when tacking, sailboats would never get anywhere. seriously now. and most catamarans have motoras as well. they could easily motor across the channel then sail.

i dont understand why so many people on this forum constantly try to discourage people from trying to find things out. and its not because you have done it or tried already.

if someone wants to make some calls and find out, let them. maybe they can report back here and help too.

we that frequent these boards should always try to be supportive and not so discouraging.

Phoenix, Arizona
5. Re: cruise for 16 people

We do have a new captain on the island...Captain Jay Skidmore. As per his card, he offers bare boat to full service charters, custom charters for all the caribbean islands, half day and full day with snorkeling and beach trips. From what I know, he can currently accommodate up to 10, but has more boats coming. Depending on when your visit to Vieques is, perhaps he can accommodate your group? His contact info is 787-918-1882 or captainjayssailaway@gmail.com. Good luck and please report back!!

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
reviews: 51
6. Re: cruise for 16 people

Frankipoo, I am not trying to discourage anyone, I am just letting them know my experience. Two years ago I spend many afternoons searching all over the net for the same thing they are searchig now. I called every since catamaran company I found online and negotiated with all of them for a reduced rate for chartering our group. All I got for a group of 20 was a $10 discount on the regular rate. The rate to charter the full catamaran the different companies gave us was similar to what Bunny123 mentioned ($2,500). Our group was too big all the sailboats I found online, so the catamarans were our only option. I wished someone had mentioned me that they did the same research and the results so I could focus my time and energy into looking at other options. That is actually what this forum is for, to provide advise based on the experience each one of us has had. I wished I could give everyone good news, but I though fair letting them know my experience.

I am sure that if someone was able to charter a reasonably priced charted for a big group like theirs, it will be posted here. My opinion is only one of many opinions here.

Overworkedinp... I hope you find a good charter and please report back if you were successful or not. It will be very helpful to others doing this same search.

VIEQUES
7. Re: cruise for 16 people

Rosy88...Thanks for that new info. Captain Skidmore's venture sounds ambitious and exciting. Let us wish him fair trade winds and success coming into the upcoming high season.

To frankiepoo...No poster on this thread is discouraging overworkedinparis from dropping a dime and calling anyone for more info. PR Nature Lover and Bunny123 (who live in PR) offered their opinions based upon local knowledge and experience. It's real...It's not sugar coated. I value that.

In terms of a sailing charter venturing here from Puerto del Rey to do a day sail is problematic at best. An 8 mile tack to the east could easily be a 2 to 3 hour trip under optimum conditions. Motoring a sailboat is very inefficient, not to mention diesel fuel is expensive and not readily available to those on the water here

If there was an easy, practical answer for overworkedinparis to achieve the goal...Then It would have appeared.here.

I have nothing against cheerleaders on this forum. Cheerleaders should not complain though, in my opinion. It takes away from the aura. That is the end of my Andy Rooney Rant

Vieques
reviews: 27
8. Re: cruise for 16 people

Actually a big Cat could motor over to the long pier from Puerto del Rey fairly efficiently in about 30-40 minutes,. There is very little drag and they don't use the amount of fuel a big power boat uses.

We charter periodically in Virgins and have never even used half a tank of Fuel that we have paid less than $100.

I would certainly not be surprised if east wind could do this for you . Maybe not for $70 per person (including lunch) as they do from Puerta del Rey but reasonably.

Give them a call .

eastwindcats.com/pages/daysailing_excursion.…

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
reviews: 11
9. Re: cruise for 16 people

I have sailed from Palomino Island to Culebra it took us 5 hours. Coming back was even longer, don't know if it was because we had less wind or the way the wind was blowing.I've lso sailed from Fajardo to San Juan and that took all day.

Vieques
reviews: 27
10. Re: cruise for 16 people

Bunny

I meant the Cat could motor ( to Vieques just to pick up the group) not sail in a short time.

It might even be shorter if they were to meet a group at Green Beach instead of the pier because it is quite protected and fairly smooth between Green beach and Puerta del Rey and then they could just go out and sail around for the day.

I agree going across to Culebra can be very rough but in a breeze it is broad reach from Vieques and shouldn't take five hours, Palomino to Culebra is beating directly into the wind and would take time.

cats can sail faster than Monohulls and East wind regularly does snorkel trips from Puerta de Rey to Culebra and back in a day trip, adding in a stop in Vieques is probably not reasonable but a nice day on the boat might be.

There are several reefs on the north of Vieques and if snorkling is an objective I am sure they could find somewhere to drop a hook.