We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach hotel in Vieques? Recommendations please.

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 24
Beach hotel in Vieques? Recommendations please.

My husband and I are looking for a hotel on the beach in Vieques but are having trouble finding something in our price range. Can anyone recommend a beach hotel on the island for between $100-$200 a night? (We're going in May 2007) A rental or guesthouse would be fine also.

We considered Bravo!, but the recent bad reviews have changed our mind. I checked in Martineau and Blue Horizon, but both are a little more expensive than we were thinking. We’re staying for two weeks, so wanted to keep the price down.

Thanks!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
reviews: 22
1. Re: Beach hotel in Vieques? Recommendations please.

Generally you will not find them on the beach. Esperanza has several nice homes to rent as well as hotels that are with in walking distance. The south side of the island is much calmer. YOu should be able to find a home within walking distance in your price range.

Mechanicsburg...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Beach hotel in Vieques? Recommendations please.

Esperanza is probably your best bet as far as location. You can walk to many of the restaurants, a bakery, convenience stores and a pizza shop. Plus, you can walk to Esperanza beach, and if adventurous you can also walk to Sun Bay.

$100-$200 a night is an easy price range in the off season of May. Enchanted-isle.com has a bunch of choices, under for rental by owner.

PuraVidaVieques.com is within 2 blocks of the Malecon, or beachfront strip in Esperanza, 3 bedroom $950/week off season, newly decorated.

Jaime's Escondite is also in Esperanza, a small one bedroom in Esperanza, maybe $85 a night? Others are also listed on enchanted-isle.

Oh, AC is probably something to look for, as it is starting to get warmer in May on the island.

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 77
3. Re: Beach hotel in Vieques? Recommendations please.

Hectors by the Sea is right on the water and within your price range. The beach it's on is not a swimming beach, it's right next door to Blue Horizon.

Ali

Puerto Rico
reviews: 2
4. Re: Beach hotel in Vieques? Recommendations please.

Hi !! I agree with Alicyn, Hector's by the Sea is a great place and very Vieques like., the beach is not a swimming or snorkeling beach but it has something magic. You have many beautiful beaches nearby., I recommend to rent a jeep, either Hector or Mary can help you a lot. Good Luck..

Enjoy Vieques and its people !!

HOC

New York
5. Re: Beach hotel in Vieques? Recommendations please.

Definitely do not stay at BBH. It's not nearly worth the price at all. Stay near Esperanza.

Oklahoma
6. Re: Beach hotel in Vieques? Recommendations please.

Hi there...

May I ask about the bad reviews of Bravo? It seems delightful on the website...

New York
7. Re: Beach hotel in Vieques? Recommendations please.

Bravo's website looks great but the actual hotel isn't great. You can't swim or lay out at the beach. You won't ever swim at either pool. It's in a bad neighborhood so you won't walk around the town.

Also, Bravo is up for sale and the owner's aren't taking care of it anymore. Both Conde Nast and T&L have removed it from their recommended lists.

DC
8. Re: Beach hotel in Vieques? Recommendations please.

You might want to try Casa del Marullo, which is owned by a friend of ours. It's a two-bedroom right on the water. Very lovely. Here's the link: enchanted-isle.com/byowner/casadelmarullo.htm

Or if you'd like to be in the hills with gorgeous views, try www.enchanted-isle.com/byowner/doschivos.htm . For the time period you're looking at, this house would cost about $172 per night (if you go for a week) or $200 per night for shorter stays.

Either option would be nice, and both have a/c (which you'll probably need in May!)

Hadley...
reviews: 59
9. Re: Beach hotel in Vieques? Recommendations please.

BBH is not in a bad neighborhood at all. We rented a cottage near there and we walked around all the time. It is in a "real" neighborhood. We had a very good, if expensive dinner and 1 very good lunch there. Try one of the many guesthouses, or cottage rentals. www.enchanted-isle.com has tons to look at and go to the link for Rainbow Reality too.

Boston
10. Re: Beach hotel in Vieques? Recommendations please.

I agree that BBH may be over-priced and I don't believe it's right on the beach, but it is in a VERY nice neighborhood. The Bravos area is full if beautiful houses of well-to-do people. We stayed at a house in the Bravos area last week. It was about 3/4 of a mile from BBH and we walked from our house to BBH twice, late at night. The walk was great, local residents waved to us when they saw us walking by and we didn't have any trouble whatsoever.

The BBH isn't for everyone, but it was a very cool hotel. The red lighting around the property is awesome, they play excellent house music around the property at night, the pool is great to look at, if not swim in. I loved it, but it was had a very young/hip vibe to it. If you're not into that kind of thing, look elsewhere. I'd suggest La Lanchita, that is right on the beach and is much cheaper. It also had a bit of an older crowd.