We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour companies out of Dorado

Which Dorado hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunnyside, WA.
reviews: 27
Tour companies out of Dorado

Hello everyone! We're thinking about visiting Puerto Rico and staying at the Hyatt Hacienda del Mar (using points), and I was wondering if there are any tour companies that would pick us up at that location. If we go, I'll definitely rent a car to get around, but I was thinking of using a tour company in order to visit El Yunque rainforest. Unless the drive isn't bad, in which case then we could just go ourselves. Does anybody know what the drive from Dorado to El Yunque is like? How long does it take? How's the driving through San Juan?

Also, how about driving ourselves from the hotel to the Camuy Caves? Anybody ventured in that direction before while staying in Dorado?

Thanks!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
reviews: 22
1. Re: Tour companies out of Dorado

I've stayed in Dorado several times including where you are. t's about a half hour drive to hit San Juan when there is light traffic. You have to drive around the Bay. During rush hour, all bes are off. Not a bad drive to El Yunque. I would give my self about an hour and a half. Iit's mostly highway all the way. Make a stop at Liquillo Beach while you are in that area. The Rio Cumay Cave Park is pretty close. Up in the mountains south of Arecibo. Nice drive. Another suggestion would be to follow the coast east to Catano park and take the ferry over to Old San Juan. Nice trip across the bay.

Sunnyside, WA.
2. Re: Tour companies out of Dorado

PR_Bob: Great info! I would much rather drive myself around the island, but was just wondering exactly how long of a drive it would be to El Yunque. What time would you suggest that we leave from the hotel in the morning to avoid most of San Juan's heavy traffic? I've driven in some major cities in Mexico before (Mexico City and Guadalajara), so I'm not unfamiliar with some crazy driving, but if I can avoid the worst part, that would be good. :-)

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
reviews: 22
3. Re: Tour companies out of Dorado

Have breakfast at the hotel and head out about 9. The rush hour will be over by then for the most part. Driving in PR is not difficult. Just like a large city in the US. There are over 2 millions folks in Metro San Juan. San Juan has a good size business district, high rises and all. Traffic will be heavy heading into San Juan and lighter when you are heading out the other side on the east. The reverse in the evening as everyone is heading home. But is really not that bad. You might get caught up in traffic for 20 minutes or so. Heading up to the caves won't be an issue. Get there early, the tours do sell out. Hit the Radio Telescope while you are there. Just a couple miles away and a nice drive through the Karst region. If you hit liquillo beach after El Yunque, they will close it about 5 or so. They start clearing it out. By the time you get to San Juan Rush hour will be over. The beach even has a bar area for cold ones. The locals love a party. Your driver license is accepted and your insurance may be also. Mine covers me fully on the rental car. I just bump the deductibles before heading down. $15 a week is better than $20 a day. I drop it back down when I get home. Check with yours.

Edited: 3:32 pm, April 19, 2013
Sunnyside, WA.
4. Re: Tour companies out of Dorado

Great, great information, PR_Bob! Thanks again for your help...that is exactly the info that I was looking for.

5. Re: Tour companies out of Dorado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, June 09, 2014