We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Night - San Juan or El Yunque

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Augustine...
reviews: 7
Last Night - San Juan or El Yunque

We will be taking a vacation to Isla de Vieques in March. We will arrive back at Isla Grande airport at 12:30 (assuming the VAL flight is on time) on March 14. Our flight back to the mainland US leaves at 11 AM Friday March 15. We would like to see El Yunque, but are not sure if it would be worth it, given that we cannot start out until that afternoon.. Assuming a trip to El Yunque is feasible:

* Would we be better off spending last night in San Juan or El Yunque?

* If we stay in San Juan, would it be better to rent car or take tour that would drop us back at hotel?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

virginia beach, va
reviews: 94
1. Re: Last Night - San Juan or El Yunque

Is your flight out of SJU? You have quite the difficult decision. El Yunque is interesting and wonderful. However, you've just spent a week 'in the country' so to speak. So, if it were me, I would opt to stay in Old San Juan and I would take a taxi in and out. The old city is fascinating, an architectual gem. One day won't get it all done but it will give you a nice taste if you get the information beforehand so that you can really see a bit of it. Try www.puertoricodaytrips.com -- there's info there on all the venues including Vieques. If you go to OSJ look at the walking trips (3 days) at the daytrips site and pick out what you want to see most. Either fort/castle will take 2-3 hours. You really can't lose, you have a win-win situation!

Saint Augustine...
2. Re: Last Night - San Juan or El Yunque

Thanks--we are planning a day in OSJ our first day in Puerto Rico, so we thought something different for the last day might be nice. I'll definitely check out the puertoricodaytrips.com site!

San Juan, Puerto...
reviews: 122
3. Re: Last Night - San Juan or El Yunque

Consider it will be around 1:30by the time you get out of the airport after dealing w the rental, and that you might want to have lunch before heading out. You might get to El Yunque around 3pm. You could see the waterfalls and maybe walk a bit on the trails before the park closes. It is up to you. You could then have dinner in the Luquillo kiosks and wait until after rush hour to get back to San Juan. I would stay in San Juan (OSJ, Condado or Isla Verde) so you don't have to worry about rush hour traffic in the morning coming back to the airport.

As alternatives, Consider staying that extra day in OSJ, as one day might not be enough to see the entire area. Otherwise, stay in Condado. Many restaurants to choose from, and a lot of places to hang out in the evening.

Saint Augustine...
4. Re: Last Night - San Juan or El Yunque

Thanks! That sounds doable (assuming there isn't any long airline delays). Since we will be flying into Isla Grande, is there a place to rent a car near there?

San Juan, Puerto...
reviews: 122
5. Re: Last Night - San Juan or El Yunque

I think there is one at the airport, but not sure which company.

Saint Augustine...
6. Re: Last Night - San Juan or El Yunque

Thanks--I'll try to check into that more!

7. Re: Last Night - San Juan or El Yunque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 14, 2014