We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on Itinerary

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
Advise on Itinerary

We are going to be several couples doing SJU early May. Would like to stay in Old San Juan El Convento. We want to do the Rain Forest and the Bio Bay on Vieques and have a couple of nights in Old San Juan. We are looking at 4 to 5 nights with a 3 to 4 night stay after SJU on Peter Island. That being said would probably prefer to keep it to 4 nights in PR but, don't want to be extremely rushed. I would like suggestion on order of the trip. Should we just fly into Vieques and do the bay the 1st night spend part of the next day there do the RF and head into Old San Juan?

Probably would need a car once we get back to Fjardo though. Is renting a car there easily done? I guess I just need to figure out the best usage of our time. Look forward to any suggestions.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
reviews: 42
1. Re: Advise on Itinerary

It's kind of hard to understand your post. Care to elaborate? Also, what time do you actually arrive in PR?

usa
reviews: 9
2. Re: Advise on Itinerary

In order to see the biobay on the island of Vieques you are going to have to stay overnight as there is no transportation at night back to the main island. My recommendation is that you opt for the biobay in Fajardo instead.

Take one day, go to the rainforest in the morning and then in the afternoon go to Luquillo Beach or Seven Seas Beach in Fajardo and then do the biobay in the evening.

Edited: 9:24 am, January 08, 2013
Louisiana
3. Re: Advise on Itinerary

We def want to do the rain forest and bio bay. Was under the impression that the one in Vieques was the best one. Was thinking of flying directly to Vieques and possibly overnighting there if the flight options work. I haven't actually booked them yet. Then I guess taking the ferry over to Fjardo in the afternoon so we could spend some time on Vieques. Overnight somewhere near the Rain Forest. Do the rain forest then head into Old San Juan for a couple of nights. Don't need a whole lot of time on a beach if we do Peter Island.

San Juan, Puerto...
reviews: 134
4. Re: Advise on Itinerary

If the main reason you want to go to Vieques is the biobay, and only plan to stay one night, then my advice would be to avoid the hassle and expense. The biobay in Fajardo is just as good. You can stay anywhere between Rio Grande, Luquillo and Fajardo and do day trips to the rainforest, biobay and beach. Then stay in San Juan so you can head out to OSJ to see the sites.

San Juan, Puerto...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Advise on Itinerary

Vieques IS the best bioluminescent bay and is best seen on a clear night with a New Moon. Just letting you know that there are no direct flights to Vieques from the US (only from the US Virgin Islands), you always have to stop by San Juan. IF you can afford the plane tickets there and back, and stay in Vieques for one night, then you can surely catch the bio bay. It's actually just a half-an-hour flight between SJ and Vieques. Just don't wear any bug repellent when you go to any bio bay, please, since that contaminates the area!

In my opinion though, staying just one night in Vieques is really a shame. You could enjoy just that island and its beaches for your entire trip! So I would also suggest Fajardo like the others have, if taking a plane to Vieques and back is out of your budget. Staying at a hotel nearer to the northeast is a better idea, like the member above me suggested. Puerto Rico is small, but the road from San Juan to the El Yunque and to Fajardo is around 50 minutes to 1 hour OUTSIDE of rush hour (with rush hours during the weekdays, double or triple that time).

Edited: 8:52 pm, January 08, 2013
San Juan, Puerto...
reviews: 4
6. Re: Advise on Itinerary

Oh, and renting a car is really easy. The cheapest car rentals in my experience are Charlie Car Rental and Thrifty. And exploring Puerto Rico is most convenient with a car, since outside the metro area, public transportation is not very fast nor reliable unless you're willing to charter a carro público to leave as soon as possible to your destination.

7. Re: Advise on Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 10, 2014