We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches in/near San Juan?

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 10
Beaches in/near San Juan?

I am embarking on a cruise from San Juan and have an entire afternoon and evening to spend prior to getting on the ship.

Any thoughts on beaches/other activities in or near San Juan and/or the port?

Thanks!

rio grande pr
reviews: 1
1. Re: Beaches in/near San Juan?

visiting old san juan (where the port is located) will keep you very busy prior to getting on the ship.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
reviews: 5
2. Re: Beaches in/near San Juan?

Old San Juan is great to spent the afternoon and then have dinner before your Cruise. You can store your luggage at Restaurant Barrachina at Fortaleza Street

London, United...
reviews: 10
3. Re: Beaches in/near San Juan?

Bunny123:

Thanks for the great idea! I can get an "original" Pina Colada, too. That is definitely going to be part of the plan.

Chicago, IL
reviews: 24
4. Re: Beaches in/near San Juan?

I agree that Old San JUan will keep you VERY busy (Forts, Shops, Restaurants, def try the small Don Q rum museum where u can get a free drink!) Most locals prefer Don Q to Bacardi...much smoother.

If you still want to go to a beach, the best nearby beaches are in Isla Verde or Ocean Park.

New Jersey
reviews: 62
5. Re: Beaches in/near San Juan?

We will be there for one over night and don't know if I should stay in Ocean Park or Isle Verde???? Which beach is nicer

Boston, MA
6. Re: Beaches in/near San Juan?

Filet, I believe that if you want to stay at a hotel on the beach, your best bet is Isla Verde (the Intercontintental, The Ritz, the El San Juan or the Courtyard by Marriot) Others closer to Old San Juan are the Caribe Hilton or the Marriot Stellaris. The airport is very close to Isla Verde. Cruise ships dock in or near Old San Juan.

Israel
7. Re: Beaches in/near San Juan?

We will also be there before embarking on a cruise. Is there time to go to the rain forest? Or are there any recommended hikes?

Israel
8. Re: Beaches in/near San Juan?

Having returned...wish we had planned to visit Old San Juan. But, we missed out. Next time. The cruise was incredible. One other thing we would ahve changed was on Dominican Republic not to go to resort - which is only 30 years old or so. Wish we had taken a tour of the real Dominican Republic.

Besides that, everything else was incredible.

san juan,Puerto Rico
9. Re: Beaches in/near San Juan?

rain forest and hiing activities are not located in san juan, you need a full day tour for that.

San Francisco CA
10. Re: Beaches in/near San Juan?

http://ygc123 - I would agree that your time may best be spent in Old San Juan. If you really want to hit the beach, go right early in the afternoon, then go tour. I highly recommend Ocean Park. See this article:

puertorico-herald.org/issues/2003/vol7n37/PR…

Have a great trip.