We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Puerto Rico in July, worried about weather.

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio, USA
reviews: 3
Visiting Puerto Rico in July, worried about weather.

My husband and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary and want to go to San Juan area. We are looking forward to staying on a beach, with enough close by that we can walk from place to place. (Nightlife, shopping, restaraunts) I am also worried about the weather in July, it is the only time we can get away. If you have any advice for us, we would appreciate it! We have never been outside of the U.S. Our stay will be for 4 or 5 nights, Tue-Saturday probably. My brother said we have to see Old San Juan, and also suggested Humacoa. I have read some posts who recommend Condado. We are in our later 30's, and just want to enjoy the beach, some History and great food along with just have fun and relax enjoying the sights. Thanks for any advice you have!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
reviews: 41
1. Re: Visiting Puerto Rico in July, worried about weather.

You will still be in the U.S. when you go to Puerto Rico.

We visited PR at the end of June, and although it rained most days, the showers were over quickly. (It's a tropical island, so rain is to be expected.)

Since July is officially part of hurricane season, I would definitely take out trip insurance (we did) to make sure you can get any non-refundable deposits back in case weather postpones or cancels your trip plans.

Have fun!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
reviews: 41
2. Re: Visiting Puerto Rico in July, worried about weather.

P.S. Do NOT miss Old San Juan, especially if you love history. Search the forum for posts about OSJ to find out about all the things you can do there.

San Juan, PR
3. Re: Visiting Puerto Rico in July, worried about weather.

Agree with Pastiche!

Since it is a tropical island- it will rain- but not necessarily where you will be. So even if it shows rain in the forecast- it may rain in some part of PR but not San Juan. It may even rain in a section of San Juan and not another, etc.

Somtimes PR gets big rainfalls but the main thing you have to worry about in July is that it is hot, sunny and humid.

As far as being in an area that is walkable, consider staying in Old San Juan itself or Condado.

In Old San Juan- look at El Convento Hotel- www.elconvento.com- it is walking distance to some of the best restaurants in PR and to clubs, small boutiques, galleries, museums etc.

There is no beach in this area( you are in San Juan Bay). However, the beach is only a 10 minute drive away.

The other area to consider is Condado- Look at some of the boutique hotels - like The Coral Princess- www.coralpr.com or larger properties like The Marriott Stellaris in Condado

From either Condado or OSJ, you can take day trips to other towns in PR, like Humacao, Isabela, The Rainforest, etc.

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
reviews: 7
4. Re: Visiting Puerto Rico in July, worried about weather.

I second or is that third the previous replies.

You might get rain, but usually over pretty quick.

take out travel insurance that covers you for hurricanes.

Great hotels in OSJ and Condado / Isla Verde. Just pick a couple and check the reviews here.

Try to at least get around OSJ and El Yunque.

check out the posts here:

http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/home

5. Re: Visiting Puerto Rico in July, worried about weather.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 02, 2009