We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shark attack in bioluminescent bay

Which Puerto Rico hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Juan
reviews: 3
shark attack in bioluminescent bay

a US tourist was attacked by a shark yesterday in the bioluminiscent bay in Vieques, as reported by press

This is rare, but it happened yesterday and if traveling to the bay you should be aware of it.

1 primerahora.com/tiburonatacaaturista-538412.…

2 primerahora.com/sihaytiburonesenlabahia-5384…

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
reviews: 7
1. Re: shark attack in bioluminescent bay

Here is another article in English http://goo.gl/CCZQB it says the bite was around 30cm but they are waiting to get vonfirmation from a marine biologist to determine if it was a shark but probly was

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 23
2. Re: shark attack in bioluminescent bay

Yeap, it was a shark dint say what type.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
reviews: 5
3. Re: shark attack in bioluminescent bay

What I don't understand is, that the Director of the EPA say's that swimming is not allowed. Since when ??? THat's the reason people go to Vieques instead of Fajardo, because they allow it. So what's the truth?

A friend to me, that there have alway's been baby sharks around that area. She use to live there as a kid. I would love to get some input from some people that are living in Vioeques

Edited: 12:11 pm, August 18, 2011
San Juan
4. Re: shark attack in bioluminescent bay

there is confirmation that it was a 5 or 6 feet long shark, the above news piece says 5 feet but on TV i heard one of the biologist-physicians say it was between 5-6 feet long

primerahora.com/confirmanquelamordidaalaturi…

Edited: 12:25 pm, August 18, 2011
San Juan
5. Re: shark attack in bioluminescent bay

in english: UK's The Telegraph has the story

telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/8707847/Touri…

Edited: 12:41 pm, August 18, 2011
6. Re: shark attack in bioluminescent bay

I was born and raised in Vieques and I can tell you there have always been sharks there I am compelled to say duh...its the ocean. I am 52 yrs old and its the first time I'be Heard of a shark attack I am not surprised though cause there is a lot more people visiting the bay

7. Re: shark attack in bioluminescent bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, August 18, 2011
8. Re: shark attack in bioluminescent bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, August 18, 2011
VIEQUES
9. Re: shark attack in bioluminescent bay

It is true that the PR Department of Natural Resources has an edict against swimming in all Bio Bays in Puerto Rico. That includes Vieques. In speaking with a number of local tour providers and local fishermen here this attack is unprecedented....Yet, it did happen. Small (5 to 6 foot) Black Tipped and Lemon Sharks are known to frequent certain areas of the bay. I' m guessing that swimming in the bay will not be an option provided by tour operators going forward. Jelly fish stings are one thing....But this is a wake up.

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
reviews: 7
10. Re: shark attack in bioluminescent bay

Think there needs to be some clarification / official statement regarding swimming in the Vieques Biobay

From latest article seems to suggest that tour licence states no swimming so if that's the case then they have probly broken some law and could get fined and possibly sued by the tourist that was injured