We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Runaway Bay + excursions

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Muscatine, Iowa
reviews: 11
Runaway Bay + excursions

We are heading to Runaway Bay on the 23rd. I have a list of things on my hope to-see/do list, but 100% do not want the large group/ tourist experience. I am traveling with my husband and 2 children (2 and 4). This is our first time to Jamaica, and would appreciate any help you can offer on the subject.

Things we would like to do/see:

* The mountains (Not to hike or bicycle due to age of kids in tow, but are there vehicle tours that take you up?)

* Dunn's River Falls (would like to see, but again, not climb).

* Rainforest or lush gardens. (Something safe and manageable for the kids that gives us an opportunity to see indigenous plants and animals.

* Golf course: any/best local course? rates? My husband is fantasizing about an early morning tee time with a Caribbean Sea view. ;-)

* Any local celebrations going on while we are there?

* Anything you think we are missing that is a must see?

9 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
reviews: 1
1. Re: Runaway Bay + excursions

We are planning to see Luminous Lagoon for sure. Also may do discover scuba from the resort.

2. Re: Runaway Bay + excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, April 08, 2014

Massachusetts
reviews: 7
3. Re: Runaway Bay + excursions

Turtle River Falls and Gardens in Ocho RIos is stunningly beautiful.

United States
reviews: 87
4. Re: Runaway Bay + excursions

"* The mountains (Not to hike or bicycle due to age of kids in tow, but are there vehicle tours that take you up?)"

What are considered mountains in Jamaica are located to the east of Ocho Rios. It is about a 50 mi. drive, one way, to get to the mountain area of Jamaica. If you do not want to hike or bicycle you will probably need to do a private tour of this area. Your hotel can arrange for a Jamaican driver with a car to take you there.

"* Dunn's River Falls (would like to see, but again, not climb)."

This is an easy place to get to as it is just down the road from Runaway Bay. However, you will find many people at the falls every day of the year. This is especially true on those days when a cruise ship(s) is docked in Ocho Rios. if you "do not want the large group/ tourist experience" then this may not a place for you to go as there are often hundreds of tourists here every day. Second climbing the falls is the main reason to go to this attraction. You can, however, walk up along side the falls if you desire.

"* Rainforest or lush gardens. (Something safe and manageable for the kids that gives us an opportunity to see indigenous plants and animals."

Try the Fern Gully, see the following

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147312-d1…

or the Shaw Park Gardens, see the following

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147312-d1…

"* Golf course: any/best local course? rates? My husband is fantasizing about an early morning tee time with a Caribbean Sea view. ;-)"

Golf is available at the Jewel Runaway Bay Resort. For details see the following

jewelresorts.com/resorts/…golf

Keep in mind that the prices listed on the website referenced are only for guests at Jewel resorts. If you are not staying at a Jewel resort then you will need to contact the course directly and ask what the non-Jewel guest rates are. I should also point out that one can see the sea from the course but the course is across the main road (inland from) along the north shore of the island.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 9
5. Re: Runaway Bay + excursions

I would be curious to know if you liked Runaway bay for location. I am planning a trip for June and still can't decide if I should stay in Montego bay, Runaway Bay or Ocho Rios. Like you, we are looking to do a lot of activities (blue hole, Dunn's river fall or other falls (I am not too excited to read everywhere that there are so many people all the time at Dunn's fall), rainforest, culinary tour...). I am not sure if Ocho Rios is the place for us (and when I read that cruise ships arrive there, I worry about over abundance of tourists). I go back and forth between these 3 areas. Do you have suggestions? It seems like there are great resorts anywhere you go so it doesn't seem to be the limiting factor.

Kirkcaldy, United...
reviews: 4
6. Re: Runaway Bay + excursions

hi runaway bay is the place for you them. its fab, nice and quiet. close to all the places you wish to see.

reviews: 1
7. Re: Runaway Bay + excursions

My experience with Dunn River Falls is that it is worth seeing. Go early in the day and there is a trail along the falls you can walk and see it all. There are also several spots you can go into the pools along the falls if you don't or can't do the climb but would like to get wet or great pictures. A local man approached us and acted as our guide taking some great pictures of us and pointing out interesting things. Go early in the morning just when it opens and you will have a great time. The trail is paved and wide so strollers would work well. The only downside is the exit is through a vendor area and some can be a little pushy.

Rehoboth Beach...
reviews: 6
8. Re: Runaway Bay + excursions

Turtle River falls would be a great place to take the kids.

Sheffield, England...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Runaway Bay + excursions

We've done Dunns River and YS Falls and we liked YS better as its not too touristy we had a full day trip and went to black river 1st to see the crocodiles and the mountains are also a full day if you want to see it all and you could have a trip to Kingston to see Bob Marley's house at the same time maybe half a day just to go up mountains to coffee makers

Reply to: Runaway Bay + excursions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted