We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About to book Jewel Runaway Bay for September

Which Runaway Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 51
About to book Jewel Runaway Bay for September

My husband and I (along with another couple) are meeting up this weekend to book our annual Jamaica trip for 10 days in September.

The last 3 visits to Jamaica have been to RIU resorts and we thought we would change it up this year!

Before doing so - we did have a few questions;

1) Is there beer in the mini fridge in the room? (Standard Room)

2) I was trying to find a picture of the buffet layout in the TA pictures but was unable to do so. Is the buffet a decent size? Are there different themes through the week?

3) Jerk Chicken - my husband eats about a dozen chickens while he is in Jamaica (gross, yet true) - Jerk Ckn is a very important staple. LOL

4) Segregated feeling? I have stayed at other resorts where you feel that if you do not book the higher priced rooms - you are not treated the same (not personally but as far as dinner reservations, pool entrance, etc.) - does this go for this resort?

5) Are the hobie cats, kayaks, snorkeling free with your all-inclusive stay?

6) What other secrets/hints/advice should I know?

Hook this "Jamerican" up!

Thanks in Advance!

Joanne (JamaicaJoJo)

New York
1. Re: About to book Jewel Runaway Bay for September

Also....do all rooms have either a balcony or terrace?

Edited: 11:58 pm, June 22, 2013
Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
for Runaway Bay, Seaside Heights
reviews: 48
2. Re: About to book Jewel Runaway Bay for September

Standard category rooms do not have beer, plunge pool category and up do. The buffet is a descent size. I know if you go way back in the trip advisor photos there's something there.

*The beach grill will have jerk chicken and pork pretty much round the clock. I'm with him, I can eat it all day every day. The also have a pizza place with guess what, jerk chicken pizza.

*' Segregated feeling?' Never!

*Hobie cats, kayaks, snorkeling (from the beach) are free with your all-inclusive stay.

*Yes, all rooms have either a balcony or terrace.

Feel free to contact me with any other question. I leave for Jewel in 19 hours. 3rd time to Jewel, 8th time on this beautiful property.

Enjoy.

New York
3. Re: About to book Jewel Runaway Bay for September

Morning, Coco! Thank you so much for answering my questions!! Have a great trip!!! Glad my hubby isnt the only one who depletes a small chicken farm everytime he goes! LOL! Looks like I will be booking today!!!!!

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
4. Re: About to book Jewel Runaway Bay for September

Hope your looking at the Caribbean airline flight out of JFK. It leaves at 5:50am but I believe it's the first flight onto Mobay. No lines and your on resort before they clean the breakfast plates. LOL.

New York
5. Re: About to book Jewel Runaway Bay for September

OMG! We are! We took that flight last year...was a PIA basically not sleeping the night before to take it (we live 90miles north) but you were right...we were at our resort in Ocho Rios for breakfast!! We also took the 6pm flight home..which we want to book also!

New York
6. Re: About to book Jewel Runaway Bay for September

Wish JetBlue had some flights out for that dates...a bit more comfy....but I'll take time over comfort for 3 hours...LOL

Pompton Lakes, New...
Destination Expert
7. Re: About to book Jewel Runaway Bay for September

I hear ya. I was loyal to JetBlue but time over comfort. JB first flight in is like 10ish.

New York
8. Re: About to book Jewel Runaway Bay for September

Trip is booked! 9/5-9/14! Can't wait!

Raymond, New...
reviews: 2
9. Re: About to book Jewel Runaway Bay for September

Writing from my patio @ Riu Palace Tropical Bay. We spent 5 days @ JRB, then came here for 5. Since the moment we arrived here (and almost every moment since) we've wished we never left JRB. My kids (19 & 15) have asked several times of we could go back.

We had a "water view" room @ Jewel, and have a beautiful 3rd floor ocean front here. It's nice here, of course who could dislike the beach here? And we've had fun, but it's not the same. The people @ Jewel make that place shine. At JRB, we felt like we were in Jamaica. Here, we feel like we're in a big fancy resort that could be anywhere. :-(

New York
10. Re: About to book Jewel Runaway Bay for September

Thanks for your input, tdse.....we went to Riu TB in 2007 and wondered how JRB compared. Try to make the most of your stay....the Japanese restaurant there is really good!