We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motor Scooter Hire (Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Port Antonio)

Which Port Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surfers Paradise...
reviews: 171

Have spent the last few weeks down at Long Bay and Oracabessa and am now in Montego Bay and am puzzled by the fact that the only place to hire a scooter is in Negril. Know the route taxis are cheap but they don't provide the flexibility that the independent traveller is often looking for in poking down this track or that one (especially where a lot of the beaches seem to be off the main roads) From following this forum I know there are a number of knowledgeable destination experts out there and would be curious to learn more about the reasons there are no rental businesses in the areas nominated. And yes after 56 countries I think Jamaica looks like a pretty good spot to spend some time in and there is clearly a deeper reason for this question. However having said that I do think that the availability of scooter hire (outside of Negril which is currently well catered for) would be a plus for the independent traveller. Apologies if this is outside the scope of the forum but if you want to peel back a few layers it is always best to us the local experts. Cheers

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
reviews: 53
1. Re: Motor Scooter Hire (Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Port Antonio)

There is now scooter rental in Treasure Beach, I had one the entire week I was there: travelsinjamaica.com/2013/05/4-scooter-rides…

But as far as I know it's only Negril and TB. I think Portland simply lacks enough tourists who want one, and perhaps the rainier climate affects the desire for a scooter as well. Montego Bay and Ocho Rios have lots of tourists but very scooter-unfriendly roads, very busy with cars. Negril's historically had a younger tourist group, from spring breakers on, so perhaps that's the scooter demographic.

I will say that Treasure Beach is the best place I've ever had one. Roads not great but traffic so light it was a pleasure to ride, everytime.

2. Re: Motor Scooter Hire (Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Port Antonio)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 09, 2014