We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

Which Port Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham/uk
reviews: 10
"Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event

"The organising committee of the Pepsi Portland Jerk Festival has announced that the event has expanded to a three-day event for the ninth staging of the event this year. Known as Jamaica's largest food festival, the 2008 Pepsi Portland Jerk Festival takes place from July 4 to 6.

The festival opens on Friday, July 4, with the official opening at the Boston Playing Field and a children's fun day from noon to 6:00pm. On Saturday evening, there will be a retro-costume party, Flavours of Dancehall. ............"

Read More:

http://hospitalityjamaica.com/ent2.html

Kingston, Jamaica
reviews: 2
1. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

Thanks for the info Sister West. Believe it or not I have never been to the festival. All things being equal I should be there although I am vacationing in Lucea on the day that the festival begins. Looks like I may have to fly instead of drive this time around.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
reviews: 3
2. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

Westie,

Where's the best place for jerk in Ochi?

Thx!

Birmingham/uk
3. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

Hi lucianmermaid,

I never like to give to much of an opinion of where's the best as in this case Jerk.

Everyone has different taste and I am used to the food so have had a lot of personal experience.

You can just about find Jerk any where and on the menu of many eateries.

The one place for Jerk in Ochi is the Ocho Rios Village Jerk Centre.

I personally like MaMa Marleys on Main St, but my favourite in the whole of Jamaica is in regards to this thread and you will find it in Boston Bay.

Birmingham/uk
4. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

Hi Ali,

I hope you do get down there and give us a report back or please send me an email. :>)

ONE LOVE!!

New York
5. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

I recently visited Mama Marley's 3 months ago and can tell you that the jerk chicken there is nothing special, i hate to say it but i've had better jerk chicken in New York City. Going to Mama Marley's is not worth the lousy sub standard jerk chicken you will get. I find the best place for Jerk in Jamaica is in Boston, or from the guys on the street on Red Hills Road in Kingston.

Birmingham/uk
6. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

tyftravel,

I didn't say Mama Marleys was special, I find your post a little strange.

New York
7. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

westmoreland,

Sorry if you were offended in anyway by my comment, I am fully aware of the fact that you did not say mama marleys was special, however I only commented on the fact that in "MY OPINION" and the opinion of the group of 20 people i traveled with that the jerk chicken they serve is not very good. I've visited mama marley's twice and they serve a lot of things that are quite good with the exception of their jerk chicken. It's actually a nice place but just not a good decent place for jerk.

I'm only trying to let readers know that Mama marley is problem not the best place to go if you are making a special trip for the jerk chicken only, you should probably try somewhere else.

I am curious to know what exactly it is about my comment that you find to be strange

New York
8. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

sorry for the typos in the above message

Indiana
reviews: 5
9. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

If you want good jerk, go to Boston Bay. I have never had anything that even compares anywhere else on the island.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 16
10. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

my top two favourite places for jerk are both in Kingston...

1) cassava piece rd... this guy blows everyone else out of the drum pan

2) red hills rd... honourable mention

honestly, Boston wouldn't even meet my top 3 unfortunately.. spent 4 days there (right behind the jerk centre) ate there for a few different meals and really wasn't all that impressed... maybe i just expected it to be better, or went at the wrong time of the day/night or it wasn't the normal ppl, or my taste buds are defective... i just didnt see the fuss.... was really looking forward to it... it was good, but not the best i had on the island or even that trip...

Chelle