We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to traveller cheque or not

Which Port Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Drogheda, Ireland
reviews: 37
to traveller cheque or not

I'm thinking the best way to manage my money is to buy travellers cheques in US dollars in ireland then when i get to PA buy jamaican dollars with that...so basically my question is, should i use jamaican dollars? i've read somewhere they're not worth the paper they're written on and then other places said that if i use US dollars then i get charged 15-20% more and the same goes for credit cards...is that true? what should i do...

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
reviews: 43
1. Re: to traveller cheque or not

I use JA$. In Portland, especially, I think you'll find it easier.

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 4
2. Re: to traveller cheque or not

in Portie, most places will prefer JA dollars, so if you bring travelers checks, you can go at Fx, beside Western Union, to quickly change them in JA$, we did this with a few travelers checks but the rest of the time we just withdrew the money from our Debit cards at Scotia Bank, which is across the street from Fx and Western Union. Since no other places than a bank will take a travelers check there, it seems, and we always had to have a bit of cash on us, the debit card worked out fine as well. :)

------------------

Bighouse

trip report:

www.marcline.com/main/content.php?content.8

Drogheda, Ireland
reviews: 37
3. Re: to traveller cheque or not

thanks for that fellas...i suppose i'll just take both so that if anything happens at least i can get my travellers cheques back and get money easily with any travellers cheques that i have left.

4. Re: to traveller cheque or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, August 24, 2009