We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Tropical

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Riu Tropical

My wife and I are currently considering a trip to Negril in October for 7 days from the UK. Unfortunately as it is from the UK we will lose a day travelling so really we have 6 days.

We have a limited budget and we think that Riu Tropical Bay fits within this budget.

If anyone could answer any of the questions I have regarding the hotel that would be super!

1 – What is the food like? Is there a good variety?

2 – What is the alcohol like? What beers are available?

3 – What nationalities tend to stay at the hotel?

4 – Is there much to do at night? Is the entertainment good? Are the bars lively?

5 – What is Negril like in October, is this a good time to visit? Is the weather good?

6 – I know it’s very touristy but how far is Margaretville from the hotel, we’ve gone to Margaretville every place we visit if there is one and we want to keep this up!

Any assistance would be great!

Nick.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 15
1. Re: Riu Tropical

We stayed there in April of this year, so I can't say what the weather is like in October.

As to your other questions:

1 – What is the food like? Is there a good variety?

We found the food excellent, with a wide variety. If you can't find something you like - it certainly isn't the fault of the hotel!

2 – What is the alcohol like? What beers are available?

Name brand alcohol - you just ask for that brand. Beer is all red stripe or red stripe light.

3 – What nationalities tend to stay at the hotel?

Canadians, Americans, and UK for the most part.

4 – Is there much to do at night? Is the entertainment good? Are the bars lively?

The entertainment is good, shows start about 930 but ends about 11. There is a disco at the other Riu (just down the road) which you can use for free.

5 – What is Negril like in October, is this a good time to visit? Is the weather good?

Aside from it being hurricane season, I can't offer you anything here.

6 – I know it’s very touristy but how far is Margaretville from the hotel, we’ve gone to Margaretville every place we visit if there is one and we want to keep this up!

You CAN walk there, but just jump in a cab (red plates) - for 2 it would be about $10. I think there's a free bus that runs there though. There's also a Margaritaville at the airport departure lounge too.

Don't forget to do the the One Love Pub Crawl! Also - visit the ORIGINAL Office of nature on the beach about 5 mins walk from the hotel.

Cortland, NY
reviews: 128
2. Re: Riu Tropical

OK I'll bite...what is the "Office of nature"?

New York
3. Re: Riu Tropical

Office of nature is a beach bar

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 3
4. Re: Riu Tropical

I just booked for September 20th at this resort and am sooo excited. I'm glad you shared what the office of nature actually was - would never have guessed based on the name.

Cortland, NY
5. Re: Riu Tropical

Thanks! We arrive April 11 (a mere 267 days from now!!), and I guess we will have to check out the Original Office of Nature!!

Ottawa, Canada
6. Re: Riu Tropical

Office of Nature - there are TWO.

Facing the beach, go right. The FIRST office of nature is the new one - keep going.

The ORIGINAL office of nature is further down past some of the vendors. Just a bamboo bar, with tarps for shade and rain protection. VERY nice and friendly guys. Have a pint and they'll even cook you a lobster or crab. We went there 3 times, just to chill and chat with the locals there (and have a pint or two).

Cortland, NY
7. Re: Riu Tropical

Can't wait...we like to mingle with the locals (the real Jamaica!!), so the Original will be the place for us to head. Thanks for the information!

Hamilton, Canada
8. Re: Riu Tropical

We are also looking at going to Jamaica in October and looking at the Riu. You noted that the disco was in the other Riu down the road. Which Riu would that be. I am going with the three older children who are 20, and 25 so they want a disco for the night time. I am in bed by time they go out lol.

Midwest
reviews: 92
9. Re: Riu Tropical

Auntdee - The Riu down the road - or down the beach - from RTB is the Riu Negril. Newer place, but not as nice as RTB in my opinion. Great option for your kids - send the down to party while you snooze in peace.

NickH - Looks like the others answered your questions the same way I would have. I might add that in addition to Canadians, Yanks and Brits, there can be a number of other Europeans there, depending on the season. We were pleasantly surprised on our first visit there at the number of Germans and South Europeans who enjoyed the beach topless.

Ottawa, Canada
10. Re: Riu Tropical

Don't forget to do the "One Love Bar Crawl" !!!