We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling at Couples Negril or book Famous Vincent?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
Snorkelling at Couples Negril or book Famous Vincent?

Looking for feedback on the included snorkelling tours with Couples Negril. Are these tours worthwhile or is it worth the extra money to book a tour with Famous Vincent? The reviews for his tours are excellent, and $25-30 pp seems reasonable. Some people have commented that it was one of the best experiences they had while in Negril. We are by no means seasoned snorkellers, but really enjoy it. Any opinions/suggestions?

Connecticut
reviews: 1
1. Re: Snorkelling at Couples Negril or book Famous Vincent?

I would say that the snorkel trips provided by CN will go to the same places as those by Vincent.

In addition, CN is required to provide a trained and certified lifeguard on the boat in addition to the boat captain. Not sure that Vincent follows that rule. If you are not all that experienced, I would think you would be more comfortable knowing that there is a life guard watching over the group.

Also, CN provides floatation vests which I do not see on Vincent's boat.

Vancouver, Canada
2. Re: Snorkelling at Couples Negril or book Famous Vincent?

Go with the couples boat because Vincent does not pick up people on the beach only cliffs and its free for you.

By the way Vincent goes into the water with you to show you different things underwater water, I think that would be more important than a lifeguard on the boat. He also has Roger that stays on the boat, keeping an eye out for your personal effects and just in case someone needs anything while in the water. He also has safety vests, noodles and snorkeling equipment. You can not go wrong with the Famous Vincent.

Edited: 6:41 pm, April 14, 2013
~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
reviews: 136
3. Re: Snorkelling at Couples Negril or book Famous Vincent?

Couples snorkeling crew also goes in the water with you and showss you things while someone stays on the boat to watch your things and man the boat...

They all go to the same snorkeling places. Don't waste your money paying for Vincent when you already paid at Couples.

Edited: 8:25 am, April 15, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
reviews: 4
4. Re: Snorkelling at Couples Negril or book Famous Vincent?

I would recommend Famous Vincent to anyone!

He DOES pick up on the beach. We have been picked up at Cocolapalm twice by him.

He has snorkelling gear and floatation equipment (noodles, jackets)

He and Roger are great hosts and make sure that everyone is safe and happy.

Have him take you for a cruise along the cliff coastline too.

Bodega, California
reviews: 2
5. Re: Snorkelling at Couples Negril or book Famous Vincent?

I'd say the big difference between doing the included CN trip as opposed to Vincent is the crowd - with Vincent you have him all to yourself and if you want to snorkel somewhere where the rest of the boats are not at the time, he'll take you - he knows all the spots in the waters in and around Negril. So it'll be a more personalized experience but with a cost (reasonable if what I'm reading is correct).

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 25
6. Re: Snorkelling at Couples Negril or book Famous Vincent?

I hate to admit this, but after many trips to Negril last week was my first time to snorkel the reef. It was beautiful! It was the highlight of our trip. It was just my sister and me, Captain Bill, and his assistant. We loved it. My husband and I are planning a trip this summer with our grown daughter and her friend. We are at CSA. We will go on their boat, but I kinda dread the crowd as Rasta mentions. But, it is included. You will enjoy either way I think. Captain Bill charged $40 per person.

Colorado, USA
7. Re: Snorkelling at Couples Negril or book Famous Vincent?

I've heard that the Couples boats make you wear the flotation vests now. I'd pay to go with Vincent if he treated me like an adult and let me swim without the vest if I choose. If I'm wrong I apologize in advance, but that's what I've heard.

Kingston, Canada
8. Re: Snorkelling at Couples Negril or book Famous Vincent?

I've witnessed this when I was out once snorkeling nearby. Everyone on the Couples boat had to wear a pfd.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 37
9. Re: Snorkelling at Couples Negril or book Famous Vincent?

It's true. You have to wear a life vest on Couples now. You can deflate it all the way, but it still sucks. We are native Floridians and swim like fish so the vest is a hindrance.

Miami, Florida
reviews: 17
10. Re: Snorkelling at Couples Negril or book Famous Vincent?

^ Seriously, wow that's a bummer.