We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US or Jamaican Dollars Travelling from UK

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lanzarote
reviews: 31
US or Jamaican Dollars Travelling from UK

Have seen a number of photos of menus etc at places like Rick's Bar and was wondering if the dollar prices shown are US or Jamaican dollars and which was the best to bring to spend, tip airport transfers etc.... I know there was a thread about this but can't seem to find it...

Derby, United...
reviews: 8
1. Re: US or Jamaican Dollars Travelling from UK

Best to use jamaican dollars , You will get better value by using them . Menues at Ricks are i think displayed in US$ but most places are shown in JS$. Hope this helps .

Lanzarote
2. Re: US or Jamaican Dollars Travelling from UK

Brilliant, thanks for that Babs51uk really helpful... staying at Couples Negril, how much do you suggest we take, we're not going to stay as AI prisoners for two weeks, well we might with the diving etc. etc.....!!!

Derby, United...
reviews: 8
3. Re: US or Jamaican Dollars Travelling from UK

Hey filanza , lanzarote is my second home .... love it there. been about 10 times, love it almost as much as negril . Sorry .... im going off the subject you were asking about . Not sure how much you will need as your going A/I but we normally get by on about £100 a day (120 euros) but thats going self catering as we like to mingle and eat with local people . Anyway have a brilliant time , im well jealous not only cos your off to negril but cos you live in one of my favourite places. Puerto Del Carmen or Negril for my birthday in March ? Now theres a dilemma . Dont forget to leave a review on your return.

Lanzarote
4. Re: US or Jamaican Dollars Travelling from UK

Hey Babs, if you choose Lanza then give me a shout and I'll give you the lowdown on Negril, if Negril then will hopefully see you in Lanza later in the year, whichever we will have a cocktail or three next time you're over......and of course I will leave a review that's what TA is about, that and being able to meet new people.... PS It's still 25 degrees, hey and if you live in Derby that's where our daughter went to uni, even more wicked.......

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 131
5. Re: US or Jamaican Dollars Travelling from UK

I'd agree - best to use Jamaican Dollars over US, you do get a better rate. Also most places where you use US Dollars you will get change in Jamaican anyway.

We went to RIU Negril a few weeks ago for two weeks and changed £500 into Jamaican and changed £100 into US (we also had about $80US left over from a previous trip) which we had in smaller denominations to use mainly as tips. This was sufficient for what we had planned.

We also had a credit card as backup which we used on the one occasion when we went to Margaritaville.

N.J.
reviews: 1
6. Re: US or Jamaican Dollars Travelling from UK

I use US dollars when i go i have been to negril many times but i get confused with jamaican money of course i am from the US so i guess that makes a diference i take alot of singles 5's and 10's so if i do get change back its not much of a difference .i guess it depends on your comfort level for me i cant waste time figuring out money .

believe

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 131
7. Re: US or Jamaican Dollars Travelling from UK

To avoid confusion between the three currencies, I printed out a little credit card exchange crib sheet I did on Excel so I could see at a glance how much I was paying.

Calgary
reviews: 16
8. Re: US or Jamaican Dollars Travelling from UK

I will give you a clue...our Jamaican bus driver referred to Jamaican currency as toilet paper.

I only use US dollars and I am not concerened about saving a few pennies on exchange since they will price the Jamaican back fron US anyway.

I am not a big shopper so maybe if you are there is some small advantage, but I guarantee you they want the US currency.

Lanzarote
9. Re: US or Jamaican Dollars Travelling from UK

Thanks for the feedback will take Jamaican to spend and some US to tip... and on that note tipping in our resort is NOT allowed however how much do people in general tip at the airport and the driver and catamaran at couples Negril....

Washington DC...
reviews: 19
10. Re: US or Jamaican Dollars Travelling from UK

I agree with the others...I use US $ bringing $1, $5 & $10s for tiping as JA money is too confusing especially when your Rumtoxicated..lol