We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Donations to Jamaica

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westchester County...
reviews: 11
Bringing Donations to Jamaica

I have "sneaked" in donations to Jamaica in the past. It can be a hassle. Does anyone know the "legal" way to bring things in for school children and the like. Thanks in advance.

San Francisco...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Bringing Donations to Jamaica

Just bring them in. They're donations. Try to have a variety of items, for example, not 25 of the same thing. I've been hassled over having too many pairs of the same sandals, as if I was possibly going to go into the sandal business on my vacation.....they're just going to hassle you- nothing has ever come out of it.

I do carry a letter from a charitable organization back home on their official letterhead, which lists the donations and states the name of the receiving organization or school in Jamaica.

I have never had to pull out the letter.

Westchester County...
2. Re: Bringing Donations to Jamaica

thanks for the info. what charitable organizations do you get letters from?

Destination Expert
for Negril
3. Re: Bringing Donations to Jamaica

sara

Abby is spot on the key is a variety of items and not multiple duplicates. I think for the most part it seems the custom officers are going through the motions of what is required in their job descriptions. I too have been questioned at times with an inspection of my luggage but nothing ever comes of it. Other times no inspection and I glide right through. They are donations and the officers see it as such in the end.

Westchester County...
4. Re: Bringing Donations to Jamaica

Thank you I guess I"ll just wing it. We got stopped by customs before and just wanted to be properly prepared this time. Just hate getting hassled especially when just trying to do the right thing.

Destination Expert
for Negril
5. Re: Bringing Donations to Jamaica

sara

I know what you mean I have come to expect being questioned, I let the customs officers do their thing while patiently waiting and then I'm on my way. The customs officers are just doing what is required of them, no worries.

Westchester County...
6. Re: Bringing Donations to Jamaica

I really appreciate your insight and bring what I have for the kids. I just won't bring 40 pairs of flips flops.

Thanks again.

San Francisco...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Bringing Donations to Jamaica

Any charitable or religous organization is fine. You probably know someone who works with one and can get you the letterhead. I was told years ago that the Customs Officials really just want to see something that looks " official" which is what I carry.

The, choose a place near where you're headed in Jamaica and list that name too. They really ARE just going through the motions but the WORST time I had was the time I didn't declare "gifts" and was randomly searched...then I'd wished I'd been prepared.

OH! One thing I was snapped at for was reaching into my open bag and pulling out one of my own things while they were inspecting the bags...and they spread everything open and make a huge mess but just be polite and you'l lbe out of there sooner.

Edited: 5:09 pm, October 25, 2012
Canada Bay...
reviews: 14
8. Re: Bringing Donations to Jamaica

No need to 'sneak" anything into Jamaica. You just fill in an amount on the Customs/Immigration document you have prepared prior to landing. We always bring a few household articles (flashlites, jeans, shoes) but mostly school things like pens, writing paper and inexpensive calculators) for smaller kiddies. Hugely appreciated by hotel staff for their "picaninnies". Never a problem.

Westchester County...
9. Re: Bringing Donations to Jamaica

Thanks to everyone for the info. I will work on getting an official letter so we will have no worries. Happy Travels.

Ottawa, Canada
10. Re: Bringing Donations to Jamaica

I am travelling to Sunset Grand in Ocho Rios in a few weeks, wondering if anyone has visited the Pimento Walk Basic school? I have a suitcase full of school supplies and wondering which school to visit. I got in touch with my resort and they suggested this school. But I can't find any information on it on line. ie, address email. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks