We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

21 year old rum

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
winnipeg, manitoba
reviews: 13
21 year old rum

Just for your information, 21 year old rum is at least twice the price in Jamaica than it is to buy it in Canada. This rum is mostly exported and is very hard to find in Jamaica.

Bodega, California
reviews: 2
1. Re: 21 year old rum

21 year old rum? Why buy that when you can get perfectlyl fresh rum much cheaper that's made in Jamaica? What's the point of drinking imported rum in Jamaica?

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
reviews: 5
2. Re: 21 year old rum

Hello rastagirl777,

QUOTE: This rum is mostly exported and is very hard to find in Jamaica.

I think that northernexposure means that all the botles of that special 21 year old Rum are exported and so it is hard to find in JAM. Maybe the importer has a contract with the facory.

The same issue comes up every year with sugar and bananas.

Hello norhternexposure,

Not only in Jamaica but Spain as well.

So you guys are the reason I cannot get any bottles here? Lucky you!

Beverly Shores...
reviews: 21
3. Re: 21 year old rum

Ok! Northernexposure: Every time we go to JA we stop at the Duty Free in Mo-Bay and get some of the XO rum (Appelton)in this fancy crystal bottle--some 20US. It is sipping Rum, just like expensive brandy. You say you get this 21 year old rum in Canada. Why not tell us the name of the rum? It is hard to believe, since bottles of CAnadian Club in Chicago are 30-40% less expensive than in Canada!

montreal
reviews: 26
4. Re: 21 year old rum

The RUm NE is referring to IS Apppleton, and it's their rarest and most expensive selection.

It's aged 21 years in oak.

It is actually much easier to find and more reasonably priced in Canada compared to the US AND Jamaica even.

Blessings and respect to all.

Steve

montreal
5. Re: 21 year old rum

For a good "happy-medium" in quality and value I really enjoyed the new Appleton Estate "Reserve" which is just a bit less costly than the Estate Extra which is my favourite.

Blessings and respect to all.

Steve

winnipeg, manitoba
6. Re: 21 year old rum

Sorry to confuse everyone lol! It is Appleton 21 year old rum made in Jamaica. Thanks JonnyBgood and Jamaicasteve for clarifying that. Rastagirl777 I got a chuckle from your response. For the rum connoisseur this is Premium rum, a sipping rum, DO NOT ADD COKE. lol It is aged for 21 years that is why it is so expensive. The price is around $80.00 Canadian plus tax. I talked to one store owner at Sunshine Village and he told me he sold one bottle as high as $225.00 U.S.

Bodega, California
reviews: 2
7. Re: 21 year old rum

Got it...since I posted I actually talked to a friend who has a friend who collects rums from all over the world.

I've never had a hard time finding inexpensive rum in Jamaica. But I drink Coconut Rum and dump a bunch of pineapple juice on top of that :)

montreal
8. Re: 21 year old rum

Suffice to say that even in Canada it's not the sort of thing you're going to find in ROWS on the shelf at your local liquor store! Typically, you'll find like one bottle out of 20 or so stores...

I did see one bottle of it in Jamaica Farewell last time out though. Although I didn't think to look at the price.

Blessings and respect.

Steve

winnipeg, manitoba
9. Re: 21 year old rum

The Manitoba liquor mart said they carry about 6 bottles per store. Right now the warehouse is empty and there is quite a demand for it.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
reviews: 5
10. Re: 21 year old rum

The biggest problem with the aged Rum is that it has to stay in American made oak barrels for 21 years.

There are too many "rumheads" out there that drink more than the factory can produce.

Many of the barrels that are earmarked for bottling after 21 years, just never make it.

The rumheads need to be satisfied.

The hurricanes that have devastated Jamaica over the last two years have affected the sugar cane crops.

I have already started to stockpile.

Do not see myself happy without an Appleton while watching Rafael Nadal winning a tennis tournament. Or a great soccer world cup series this summer in Germany. OR Fernando Alonso winning the Formula 1 again this year.

Not to mention the delicious Xmas Rum fruit cake.

Plus all the Rum and cokes that we enjoy while sitting on the verandah in Jamaica.