We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Got Back from ClubHotel Riu, Any Questions??

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern England
reviews: 1

Glasgow, Scotland...
reviews: 31
1. Re: Just Got Back from ClubHotel Riu, Any Questions??

Hi

Did you fly with Thomsons? I have heard lots of bad reviews (leg room cramped etc). Also, did you wait a long time at Airport to get through customs?

Is it easy enough to hail a taxi and go to places like Rick's?

I am going in June.

Thanks.

Florida
2. Re: Just Got Back from ClubHotel Riu, Any Questions??

Hi! Hope you had a great time in Negril.

My bofriend and I are traveling to Jamaica in May and we're staying at RIU Negril. We'll be there for 4n/5d. I've seen many of the postings with things to see and do in and around Negril. Are there any off-beaten waterfalls or adventures that haven't been taken over by the tourists. This is my first trip to the Caribbean and I would like to do all I can while there. I'm really looking forward to visiting the Office of Nature and spending time with the locals. I've also done research on snorkeling and diving in the area. Also, if anyone could provide any information on the RIU Negril resort such as staff, rooms, food, entertainment, activities, etc. Thanks!

Texas
reviews: 66
3. Re: Just Got Back from ClubHotel Riu, Any Questions??

Yes! Please post all info regarding, accommodations, dining, water sports, etc. Have been to Negril many times, not stayed at either Riu there yet, but looking for a place to stay at this summer. Any names of bartenders (that are good), would be appreciated. Also what type food is served... any lobster? Thanks.

UK
reviews: 15
4. Re: Just Got Back from ClubHotel Riu, Any Questions??

We're about to book for April......read many reviews about safety etc and I've formed a view that as long as you're sensible you'll be alright. Is that your experience? What are the peddlars/hawkers etc like on the beach? Do they move on after a polite "no thank you"?

Appreciate your response.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 3
5. Re: Just Got Back from ClubHotel Riu, Any Questions??

I have stayed at ClubHotel Riu two times now! The staff is great, they are always eager to help. Entertainment staff, they try hard to keep guests occupied, especially during the rainy days, they also work HARD at putting on shows at night, sure people complain about the lack of entertainment but go and enjoy the sights and sounds and remember you are on vacation and it's NOT Las Vegas! There is one bartender named Orville, he's at the main bar - he's great and make an awesome strawberry drink! If you have problems the front desk staff will be able to help. And the manager is a great listener! The only thing I would say was a downfall was the reservation system for the specialty restaurants. I forgot one day to sign up and by the time I realized it I couldn't eat at the steakhouse that night!

As far as things to do in Negril, there is two good waterfall areas - YS Falls and Mayfield falls, I would suggest either one of those. There is also a really neat "bar shack" out in the ocean called Pelican Bar, it is a half-hour boat ride from Jake's, on the South Coast. Search online and see what a cool place it is! That place is "off-the-beaten path!!" The live reggae at Alfred's and Bourbon Beach are great in the evening!

I hope this helps some of you!

Hamburg
6. Re: Just Got Back from ClubHotel Riu, Any Questions??

I would say go to Mayfield falls and try to go out of your hotel for dinner. There are lot of wonderful local places. Yes of course "Office of nature" is a good example for this. Try "Miss Sonia`s" Restaurant, she is just a lovely person.

And at least I would go to Treasure beach for a day trip. Just take a local Tour guide it also will help you to see different things.

Enjoy your trip

freshblue

Northern England
7. Re: Just Got Back from ClubHotel Riu, Any Questions??

Hi

We flew with Thomsons and had no problems at all, we flew premium class as we have a 2 year old son and we find the seats to cramped in the economy section. As for the flight times, it was on time and other flight leaving Manchester for Montego Bay (i think First Choice) was already delayed by 5 hours before we left. When we arrived in Jamaica we only waited 5 minutes to get through customs, just make sure you fill your forms in on the plane and you will have no problems.

The hotel is fantastic, the only problem being that the rooms do smell fusty. We initially asked to move rooms but soon found out that all the rooms have a slight smell. We were told this was due to the humidity and the air conditioning, it wasn't a massive problem and you soon get used to it but next time i'm def taking some airfresheners or some fabreeze and you will find your clothes smell slightly.

We only ate in the Green Island Buffet, the speciality restaurants did look nice but i really couldn't be bothered to stand and queue for over an hour every morning for a reservation. We spoke to quite a few people who ate in these restaurants and they said the buffet was as good. There is something for everyone in the buffet and it is different every night. On a couple of nights there was lobster, crab and shrimps and everynight there was a wide selection of meat, fish and vegetarian food. My husband loved the jamaican corner and my son loved the pasta station where the staff made you amy type of pasta and sauce you fancied.

We used the watersports available, the canoes and peddle boats and all were of good quality with plenty of life jackets available (mainly for the kids). My husband did a few dive trips to and found them well organised with different dive spots on each trip. My husband did befriend a few locals who took him out on fishing trips. There are a few hustlers trying to get you on their jet ski's, but the beach and sea are cordened off and so these people shouldn't bother you. We walked the beach right up to Sandals and yes you are stopped but the people are lovely and are only trying to earn a living so we made the time to stop and talk to them. You will be asked if you want to buy drugs and obviously that is up to you but a firm no thanks will suffice and they don't take any offence.

The staff and entertainment team are unreal. The hours they work is amazing. There was always something going on be it beach volleyball, football, crazy games, water aerobics, bands on the beach it was great.

The bar service was good, i did wonder though a few times whether they actually put achohol in the cocktails but if you ask for more, that's what you get. They are so happy to help that if you have a problem it soon gets put right.

There is a guy who works for the hotel at the front and he can order you taxi's to take you anywhere. We only went to Rick's Cafe as everywhere else was a bit to far to go with a 2 year old. A couple we did meet went to the Fall's and to Dolphin Cove and had a great day it was just a 3 hour journey each way. They didn't think much to the driving either. Another couple we met did the sunset cruise which looked a right laugh. You go out on a boat to watch the sunset near Rick's Cafe but the boat has slides on ect to jump in the sea. Looked like fun!

We love Jamaica and we had a fantastic time, so much so we have booked to go again next year!! Let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

UK
reviews: 15
8. Re: Just Got Back from ClubHotel Riu, Any Questions??

Cheers for that Tho1512. We are planning to go with our 5 year old.....she's already well travelled...Dom Rep, Mexico, Canaries, France so I think your comments and reassurances have convinced us.

Thanks.

Northern England
9. Re: Just Got Back from ClubHotel Riu, Any Questions??

Your welcome! Your 5 year old will love it. My son is 2 and a half and enjoyed every minute. He loved the entertainment and the mini club disco they had every night. They are also fine about you taking them on the canoes and peddle boats and have plenty of kids life jackets. We have taken him all over the world but i would say that this is the most settled he has been!

Get booked, you'll love it!!

Glasgow, Scotland...
reviews: 31
10. Re: Just Got Back from ClubHotel Riu, Any Questions??

thanks for the useful info Tho.

Great.