We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Ocho Rios or The Jewel Dunn's River or Paradise Cove

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chattanooga...
reviews: 1
Sandals Ocho Rios or The Jewel Dunn's River or Paradise Cove

Ok my husband and I can't decide whether to try one of the Jewel Resorts or go back to Sandals in Ocho Rios. Have any of you been to Sandals Ocho Rios and either the Jewel Dunn's River or Paradise Cove and if so, which do you prefer? We are 31 years old and like to chill by the pool and have drinks during the day, but like to get into a little bit of nightlife on some of the evenings. Also, I noticed on the Jewel Resort fact sheet located on their website that they have a few excursions available and it looks included in the price of the stay. Does anyone know if that's true (mainly interested in the sunset cruise)? We love Sandals, but didn't know if the Jewel resorts were just as nice for little less costs. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

reviews: 9
1. Re: Sandals Ocho Rios or The Jewel Dunn's River or Paradise Cove

Hi - My bf and I just returned from the JPC on 4/27. We're in our mid-30's but nightlife wasn't really a big thing for us on this trip.

We had a great time...check out my review of our stay (with pics). JPC has 3 pools...two larger ones and one smaller one. The included excursions was one of the main reasons why I choose JPC...that and the overall excellent reviews.

Nightlife at JPC was so-so and it started late. It's a common complaint that you see in a lot of the reviews. There's a Disco with different music each night. Doesn't open until 10pm or 10:30pm and not a lot of people. There's a piano bar (sing-a-long style) that again sometimes opens at 9:30 or as late as 10:30pm.....it's older songs. There's always a showtime in the Coral Cafe...the main eating area that features a buffet...and that's usually 8:30pm (aerials, acrobatics, band, singing, etc). And that's about it...a little ho hum.

You will probably find more options in a larger resort, but this suited us just fine.

Also...it's possibly also due to the fact that the average age of the guests here seemed to be mid 40's and up? Youngest people there, we estimated at mid to late 20's and not too many of them. Plus, the resort was only about half full (or so it seemed).

Hope this helps with your planning.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 5
2. Re: Sandals Ocho Rios or The Jewel Dunn's River or Paradise Cove

My husband and I took our honeymoon at Sandals in Ocho Rios back in 2008 and took a day trip to Sandals Dunns River (currently Jewel Dunns River). We decided to try out the JDR last year since I read that they kept a lot of Sandals employees and had great reviews. We loved it so much that we are going back to Jewel Dunns River this July simply because of the staff. Both resorts are great, and the Sandals recently had some renovations and additions. Sandals is huge, Jewel is smaller (we thought that would matter but it was perfect). Not sure about included excursions, but we spent so much time with the entertainment staff and activities we didnt stay on that beach as much (like we had planned) and loved it. The Jewel still had a Sandals-esque feel just not couples only (although there were a lot of couples there).

Edited: 8:11 am, May 01, 2014
Connecticut
reviews: 1
3. Re: Sandals Ocho Rios or The Jewel Dunn's River or Paradise Cove

I suggest JPC.

It has just been fully renovated with all rooms with a patio or balcony. The number of inclusions is impressive; even the scuba resort course is an inclusive. There is a quiet zone (where the small pool and hot tub is located) where gals can go topless. In this zone, you have a swim-up pool, a grill, a nice patio around the pool, plenty of shade.

There is a fun water slide.

Almost all the rooms have an ocean front view.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
reviews: 71
4. Re: Sandals Ocho Rios or The Jewel Dunn's River or Paradise Cove

I have not been to JPC so cannot comment on that resort.

Sandals Jamaica is my least favorite of the Sandals resorts. IMO, it is very large and impersonal and I did not enjoy the resort.

JDR was formerly Sandals Dunns River and looks better than ever. It is very lush and lovely resort with two pools, a very nice main bar and well appointed rooms. Beach is small but pretty. That would be my choice.

5. Re: Sandals Ocho Rios or The Jewel Dunn's River or Paradise Cove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, May 03, 2015