We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveler's Checks????

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
st. louis
Traveler's Checks????

Do the restaurants and shops or tours take traveler's checks??? Or is better to pay with cash?

jersey shore
reviews: 1
1. Re: Traveler's Checks????

I'm not sure about the shops, but I know Sandals SOR would only cash them for you in Jamaican dollars. I think Margaritaville accepted them too.

Toronto
reviews: 1
2. Re: Traveler's Checks????

It's always easier with cash - and you get back US $

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
reviews: 6
3. Re: Traveler's Checks????

Hello stlouie 1,

Most places do accept Travellers checks because they can charge you a few more dollars to change them.

Pay by Credit card and cash.

There are ATM machines available in the large cities like MoBay Ocho Rios, Negril, Kingston and Pt Antonio.

Take as much cash with you. Then lock it away in the hotel.

Take it out daily as you need to. If you pay in US dollars, then ask for the change in US dollars.

Please remember that JAM is a poor country. Do your bargining before you enter the taxi or any other service or when buying products.

Try not to quibble over a few dollars. This could feed a whole family for a few days. If you act and treat them with courtesy and respect, then you will get it back tenfold. They will give you back much more than the few dollars.

ENJOY!

Try the delicious local foods, eating places, entertainment, drinks and especially the coconut water and other fresh fruits. These are much cheaper and your money will go a long way.

It will also go directly into the local economy.

Jamaica, WI
4. Re: Traveler's Checks????

You can change your traveller's cheques at any bank but I would suggest that you work directly with cash, it's less hassle.

Besides, not everywhere will accept traveller's cheques.

Irie : )