We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping???

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rochester, mn
reviews: 1
Tipping???

Still curious about tipping when on our vacation at SGOR. What are reasonable tip amounts for different services while in Jamaica?

Bus from airport to SGOR?

red caps at airport? I have heard $1/bag

Tour guides for private tour? We are spending about $200 ttl on a tour through A-Z jamaica planners.

Thanks in advance

Cherry Hill, NJ
reviews: 9
1. Re: Tipping???

I typically tip $1 per bag (as you noted) to the red caps.

$5 per person to the bus driver to the resort (and on return)

15% for any tours (so $30 in your case)

But, use your judgment. If someone goes above and beyond...or if they just go through the motions. Same goes at the resort, even with a no tipping policy (just be discreet).

Baton Rouge, LA
2. Re: Tipping???

For your private tour, I would buy the driver lunch, and then give them a likkle sumting extra, depending on how much fun they made the trip for us. I would think that $5-$10 and lunch would be a nice tip.

Hope you have a great trip!!

-Leah

rochester, mn
3. Re: Tipping???

Ok, Ok............!

Now I have just heard too many things about tipping at the resort. There are a handful of people saying "Do Not Tip", and there are a hadfull of people saying "You should Tip for good service".

I most likely will not tip at the resort at all because I feel I have already paid for this.

Honestly................Do most people tip at the resort and am I going to receive less if I don't?

Don't really have a lot of money to be throwing around nor do I believe one should tip for something they have "in a sense" paid for already!

Thanks,

Baton Rouge, LA
4. Re: Tipping???

I agree that if you pay for an AI, that's what it should mean. You shouldn't have to pay extra for the service that should be included. Some people do this at AIs in private, perhaps because some feel that the staff at AIs are overworked and underpaid, even though they usually make more than those with the same job at non-AIs. I didn't stay at an AI in Jamaica, and while I didn't have much to give, I brought little things like lotions and perfumes for the housekeepers or those working at the hotel who were really nice, and they seemed to be very happy with this.

I liked being able to give them a little personal gift to say thanks instead of slipping them a tip.

Hope that you have a great time in Ochie!

-Leah

delton
reviews: 27
5. Re: Tipping???

we found out that tipping a few dollars at a bar in an all inclusive resort would recieve faster service.

Baton Rouge, LA
6. Re: Tipping???

Nutting need be fasta in Jamaica, mon. Evryting soon come.;)