We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping...how much???

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago area
tipping...how much???

how much do you tip for certain services on jamaica? i am just coming up with a list of everything i can think of, feel free to answer or add to the list. i don't want to be cheap, but i also don't like feeling as though i was taken advantage of. i've never been to jamaica before, and i've never been to an all-inclusive before either. the riu home page says that tips are included, but are they really - do the staff expect them anyway?

1. your 1/2 - full day tour guide

2. someone who boat lifts you to a reef from the beach?

3. your guide at dunn's falls

4. the bartender at your all-inclusive (where tipping is included, but liquor.man seems to be getting better service with some cash)

5. the girl who braids your hair

6. other services at your all inclusive - miad service, etc.

7. waitstaff in local places

8. your bus driver (from your airport transfer)

Los Angeles...
reviews: 15
1. Re: tipping...how much???

You are so thoughtful to be thinking of this already! Believe me, you will bring smiles to the faces of these hardworking people.

I think that when you get there, just follow your heart with regards to tipping, that's what I do. Sometimes I over-tip, it just depends. Sometimes I don't tip; sometimes I tip once at the end of the day, or at the beginning of the day depending on what I'm doing.

I would tip similar to the way you would in the US.

Tour guides: 10% to 20% of the tour cost

For the rest of the categories you noted, I probably would start at $3 and go higher from there.

Don't know if this helps, but I know that anything you can do to help the people will be very much appreciated.

CAN
reviews: 25
2. Re: tipping...how much???

amsp, please tip as much as you are comfortable with and that you can afford. You will soon see....finacially poor country. Rich in other ways but not $$$. The average employed JA makes about $2 per hour - $50 per week but the cost of living is par with USA. Imagine. So in travelling to an undeveloped country I give freely. ENJOY.

princeton,nj
reviews: 4
3. Re: tipping...how much???

whot about tip plus candy for kids?

STC, MO
reviews: 67
4. Re: tipping...how much???

We tipped $1 per bag on luggage. May not sound like much but by the time you pay to take from immigration to transfer desk, then on to transfer vehicle, the shuttle driver and finally the bellman at the resort, you've paid $4 per bag.

We tipped $1 per person per day for the cleaning ladies. Found that we had someone different each day so was glad we didn't wait till the end. Since tips are included I would leave a note letting them know it was for them. One lady didn't take but when she came back with the towels I told her to. You have to be discreet in most places as the employees can lose their job over this. We also took little gift items but you must leave a note stating what the item is and your name/room # or they won't be allowed to take off the property.

We tipped the guide at the falls $5 and the guy that carries your camera and offers to take your picture $2. Our group up the falls had probably 40 people in it so they ended up doing pretty good.

I didn't tip our cab driver at all but I also didn't haggle over the price. Several people mentioned when you have a guide for the day it's nice to buy their meal.

Oregon
5. Re: tipping...how much???

The only other thing I can add is for maid/housekeepers. I don't know why people don't know about this but to tip the housekeepers you leave the money on the pillow. I usually leave $1.00 per bed per night. If I get good service I will put out $2.00 per bed. Its all about service in my mind.

Take care of those that take care of you. What comes around, goes around :)

-Reby

Stockton-on-Tees...
6. Re: tipping...how much???

Think im going to be at a bit of a disadvantage with being from the uk and they not really taking our currency,

Im going to SGOR, whats the best thing for me to take to tip the maids and stuff

CAN
reviews: 25
7. Re: tipping...how much???

russiantraveler: Yes you can take candy but please remember you are going to a poor (financially) country that does not have any dental coverage.

pageland: you should take USD or JA $. Nothing feeds a family like cash.

Anything anyone gives is truly appreciated. ONE LOVE.