We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This Sunset Beach Resort review left me speechless

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hemet, California
reviews: 9
This Sunset Beach Resort review left me speechless

I stayed at SBS July 7 - 11. One of the most recent reviews "I don't recommend it" left me stunned. It is painfully clear that the difference between a bad and a good vacation is research and knowing what to expect. I understand that people go on vacation and have really bad experience but sometimes a bit of preparation is the answer.

According to the reviewer in quotes:

"Montego Bay is not the best part of Jamaica. Negril is the place to be-it is a little further away from the airport but well worth it."

I am curious why didn't she choose Negril. Five minutes of research could have lead to a better decision.

"But just the fact that the excursions exists proves that there is something there that is not here."

Absolutely, different areas in Jamaica or any country have different attractions and therefore excursions give you the chance to explore them. It is very difficult for most vacationers to have extended stays in different areas.

"On some nights all I had was bread and butter. And I swear that I'm not a picky eater."

They had salads, pasta and a Jamaican corner with local dishes. The salad had to be decent. Really how badly can a buffet screw up lettuce in a salad?

"there is nothing for teens to do"

Water park...snorkling.....beach....pool....billards

"the all natural beach IS visible from other locations. SOme people wrote that it is not but it IS and the water park is right next to it too"

The West Inn overlooks the water park. The Au Natural is behind the East Inn at the very end of the property and beach. Unless you are in the West Inn and you are exploring as I did that's when I realize it was there. It's easily avoided. Any resort with a Au Natural beach does increase the possibilty that you may see things on people that you wish had stayed private. It's important to choose carefully.

"Also, the beach right next to it is clothing optional. There were many topless women which was embarrassing when I walked there with my 15 year old son."

Regardless on which beach you are on before long you will come across somebody (usually past their prime) doing topless sunbathing. Not to mention that old guy in the speedos. If there is a beach with European or American tourist be prepared.

" weather not great-it rained at least a little every day-some days more than that and it is NOT rainy season."

No it NOT rainy season. It's actually hurricane season. Hurricane Dennis was nasty last year. It was two solid days of non-stop rain. That's when you are happy to be in Montego Bay and close to the airport.

The reviewer started out by saying:

"I am writing this to prepare others for what to expect at Sunset Beach Resort and to prepare you for disappointment"

This reviewer thinks that you can avoid such disappointment if you spend 5 to 10 minutes on research.. SBS is a value resort that comes up short on luxury but offers enough to have at least a good time. There you can snorkle right off the beach and experience the setting of the sun which is so stunning.

Cherry Hill, NJ
1. Re: This Sunset Beach Resort review left me speechless

Can't argue with anything you said.

I too always say, "a little research goes a long way" towards happiness.

California
2. Re: This Sunset Beach Resort review left me speechless

I agree about reseach and expectation in determing a bad verses a good vacation. Gone are the days when you rely on what your travel agent tells you or on the brochure from the resort with pictures that are unreliable. This reponse made me smile:

"Regardless on which beach you are on before long you will come across somebody (usually past their prime) doing topless sunbathing. Not to mention that old guy in the speedos. If there is a beach with European or American tourist be prepared."

You are very insightful...Thanks for the pictures you shared. I will be contacting my travel agent (or you) for more information about my next trip. I do intend to be prepared.

Bodega, California
reviews: 2
3. Re: This Sunset Beach Resort review left me speechless

Isn't it terrible that people go on vacation and have such a bad time?

You know...I hardly ever do research beyond fares when I travel. I'll check into a business hotel but only for rates and distance to where we are working.

When I first went to Jamaica there were only a couple of things I knew - Reggae music and the weather patterns. No computers back then...it was anecdotal but the couple of people I knew who had been there. I barely had a hotel reservation. Everything I know about Jamaica and in particular Negril I've learned by living it.

Another peeve of mine are those that complain about rainy weather when they've gotten the killer deal to travel to Jamaica during rainy/hurricane season.

California
4. Re: This Sunset Beach Resort review left me speechless

My turn with this review:

"excursions are pricey and end up eating up your whole day. We were sorry we went to Dunn's falls-it was so dangerous. One woman broke her ankle so badly that it was turned in the wrong direction. The ride there was awful and depressing. The roads are barely drivable and the place looks like it was just hit by a hurricane (it was 2 years ago)."

Why not ask about the duration of an excursion before paying for it. Dunn's River is 2.5 hours from Montego Bay, making that 5 hours just in travel time. The ride take you through parts of the real Jamaica. Maybe seeing how some people live in other countries make you appreciate how fortunate we are living in the US and that lesson should be priceless. The hurricane that affected Jamaica happened last Summer but there could have been one two years ago as well.

"There are no clocks in rooms or around resort except at front desk . Staff told to not encourage telling the time. "

OK get real..hahahahahah

Mayville, Wisconsin
reviews: 7
5. Re: This Sunset Beach Resort review left me speechless

Here's a pet peeve of mine...people who complain about tree frogs & how they keep them awake @ night...geez!

LOTL

Hemet, California
6. Re: This Sunset Beach Resort review left me speechless

What about people who go to one of the most value (cheapest) family A/I then complain about it not being a 5 star or the fact that there are too many kids at a family resort..

What erks me about this review is that there are inaccuarcies such as the the water park being next to the Au Natural beach. Yes the Inns are closer to this beach compare to the towers but not to the point where you can't avoid it. Last year Jamaica was affected by a hurricane passing through. There were more than 4 items on the buffet.

7. Re: This Sunset Beach Resort review left me speechless

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, August 11, 2006
8. Re: This Sunset Beach Resort review left me speechless

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 11, 2006
Curacao
reviews: 23
9. Re: This Sunset Beach Resort review left me speechless

'Kooljammin', I really appreciate the effort you took to place this reaction to the bad review of sbrs. I had done a lot of research and thought I finally found the right resort for our needs. And then read the review you mentioned. I started to doubt my research. We have simple needs, the rooms need to be clean (asthma). Food needs to have variety, for kids and for picky eaters (as long as they have french fries I think we will be ok). And as for nudity; even if I was taught to feel shame and embarassed with nudity, I will not raise my children with this handicap. And I am happy to report they have no hang ups with naked bodies.

My question what would your advice be when booking a room. I have kids that take naps, and I need to have a good ocean view and a balcony. Should I ask for anything specific.

Appreciate any advice.

Hemet, California
10. Re: This Sunset Beach Resort review left me speechless

Request ocean view first floor room in the West Inn. We tayed in room 213 which gave us a partial view of the garden (gorgeous) and the ocen (stunning). This is away from the main lobby and towers but close to the water park. It has 2 levels, so no need for elevators. I heard guests complaining that the entertainment bother them while in the rooms located in the towers (bad for nappers). I called before arriving to request a my room in the West Inn because I wanted to be very close to the water park. This not a fansy 5 stars resort but someplace of great value that you can go and have a really good time. You can check out my pictures of this resort at:

kooljamming.dell.shuttterfly.com.

It 's the first album with the picture of the water park. The grill has fries (pretty good) and please try a beef patty (yummy).