We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local grocery store in walking distance of Margaritaville?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
so. California
reviews: 26
Local grocery store in walking distance of Margaritaville?

Looking for a local (not one designed for tourists and overpriced) grocery store in Montego Bay (or within walking distance of Rose Hall Hilton which I doubt exists) that we could pick up spices, local snacks, beer, bottled water, etc.

Thank you!

10 replies to this topic
babylon
reviews: 1
1. Re: Local grocery store in walking distance of Margaritaville?

there's a store across the street from M'ville and back towards the airport, I wanna say across from the old cemetery

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
reviews: 43
2. Re: Local grocery store in walking distance of Margaritaville?

There are a couple of large supermarkets near Rose Hall. Can't recall if that's an easy walk or more of a cab ride, but Blue Diamond has a large supermarket.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
reviews: 8
3. Re: Local grocery store in walking distance of Margaritaville?

Megamart or Hi Lo

Montego Bay
4. Re: Local grocery store in walking distance of Margaritaville?

Any of those stores on the strip are going to be overpriced. Grab a taxi and head to Mega Mart or Progressive Foods (at Blue Diamond) Those are the two stores where I do most of my shopping.

Montego Bay, Jamaica
5. Re: Local grocery store in walking distance of Margaritaville?

The closest supermarkets are at Blue Diamond Supermarket and Whitter Village. Mega Mart and Whitter Village Supermarket (Progressive) are Mega Overpriced, but will probably have everything you're looking for. For instance, if you want fruits, one type of imported apple can cost JA$300 ($3 US). The price actually went up $2, I guess in keeping with the lower JA dollar. A box of cereal from about $2 to $8 or $9. It all depends on what you're looking for. If you eat tuna or peanut butter and you're looking to save, you might want to pack some for your trip to save money. Good healthy food is very expensive in Jamaica. It's cheaper to go to the market, but it's a hassle if you're not willing to be in the very hot sun among confused crowds of people and traffic. Personally, if you don't want to bring a few staples with you, I'd spend the extra money and shop at Whitter Village (close 5 min taxi ride from Hilton) and/or Mega Mart (about 20 min taxi ride). It will be less stressful for you.

so. California
6. Re: Local grocery store in walking distance of Margaritaville?

Thank you!

Montego Bay, Jamaica
7. Re: Local grocery store in walking distance of Margaritaville?

Okay. I should have asked what you're looking to purchase. There are several convenience supermarkets on the hip strip walking distance from Margaritaville (on the opposite side of the strip) for purchasing snacks-like foods, juices, sodas, liquor. Sort of like 7-11, but not as big. There's a big supermarket in the town called P&E Wholesale. It is within walking distance if you like to walk. I guess about 15 min walk from Margaritaville. It's very clean and the people are nice. Though if you're looking to purchase meats, you'd probably want to go to the stores I mentioned previously.

so. California
8. Re: Local grocery store in walking distance of Margaritaville?

We want to buy a case of bottled water, large jerk spice packets to bring home, local snack foods (like cookies or chips that are regional)!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
9. Re: Local grocery store in walking distance of Margaritaville?

Won't the resort give you water? Why buy a case?

And any of the other items can be found in any small grocery store.

Montego Bay, Jamaica
10. Re: Local grocery store in walking distance of Margaritaville?

Okay. If you want to buy snacks, then go to Whitter Village or Mega Mart. Check the dates on everything. There tends to be expired foods in the supermarkets and they don't adjust the price even if it's expired, although they will double up certain expired items and call them "Special". I have experienced this several times at Mega Mart and it is doubly likely at the smaller supermarkets.

Bottled water is expensive in Jamaica . Sometimes if you purchase in the smaller supermarkets it has a bitter taste to it.

Also foods in the supermarkets tend to have a detergent smell and taste. Something else to look out for....

Edited: 11:44 am, August 13, 2013
Reply to: Local grocery store in walking distance of Margaritaville?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted