We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Starfish Trelawny

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary-from...
reviews: 7
Tipping at Starfish Trelawny

Hello, I was talking to my family and friends that have been here before, and they told me that it is a NON-TIPPING resort????

So how would you go about tipping people? Does this also mean that we arent supposed to leave gifts for the maids?

Any info, thanks a bunch!

montreal
reviews: 26
1. Re: Tipping at Starfish Trelawny

Hi Holly, I hope you're well.

The official policy at Starfish is no tipping. To avoid any trouble for the employees, I strongly suggest the following:

For any and all staff members that you feel merit something extra, take note of each of their names and be sure to inform the management that you will be giving them a MONETARY GIFT. Do so near the END of your stay, and not in order to receive better service. Giving money to receive better service is actually Bribary and not a tip or a gift. Do NOT try to give tips in a concealed manner, because you are putting the staff in a rather awkward position. Of course they are grossely underappreciated both from guests and in pay, so it is hard for them to not want to accept the help, but they can be worry free if you make sure that management knows. They may try to tell you that you cannot "tip", but just be insistant. It is a basic fundamental human right to be able to share with one another and to help or give a gift to anyone you choose. If you do not want to deal with the management at all, then arrange to meet whoever you want to give some extra to after their shift beyond the front entrance...

You can leave anything you want for the maids, but again be sure to leave a signed note detailing what you are leavig for them.

Much respect and praise to you for your generous nature. Enjoy Jamaica to the MAX !

Blessings to you.

Steve

Southern California
2. Re: Tipping at Starfish Trelawny

Hi I am going to be visiting Jamaica and will be most likely staying at the Trelawny in June. I was wondering how that hotel was and if you knew anything about scuba diving around there....like where to go and where to rent equipment. Thanks for the help!! :)

montreal
reviews: 26
3. Re: Tipping at Starfish Trelawny

Greetings and welcome Scubachick.

Take a look through the pages of posts here on the forum for tons of great info on Starfish. It's an excellent moderate resort. Unbeatable value.

They have a scuba program right on the property where you can rent gear as well. You can also go down to Jamaqua We Be Divin' which is an excellent outfit in Runaway Bay.

You are going to love Jamaica! Enjoy Jamaica, enjoy the diving!

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

Southern California
4. Re: Tipping at Starfish Trelawny

Hey Steve, thanks for the info that is a lot of help. Do you know if the Royal Decameron Montego Bay Resort is any good? I keep seeing such mixed reviews. Is it worth going to or would I feel like I should have stayed somewhere else? Thanks again for the help!

Becky (scubachick)